What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help looking for small "windowsill" nepenthes

• Thread starter Gregbey
  • Start date
Hello i am looking for a small nepenthes that i can have outside my grow area just near my bed something with small pitchers that will tolerate room temperature.. i was looking at N "lady luck" although i dont know how big the pitchers eventually get i would love a Nepenthes ampullaria or anything with small pitchers. Any suggestions? I feel like lady luck is the best option as it says it tolerates everything from lowland to highland conditions. But any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Please and thank you

Small pitchers doesn't translate to small plant. N. ampullaria is a monster, and most of its hybrids will eventually be as well. Most species that actually stay small also tend to be touchy growers, and their hybrids are hit or miss as far as either size or tolerance. I have N. maxima 'Lake Poso' x "Rebecca Soper" cuttings beginning to root, that will stay on the smaller side for the genus, or even standard N. ventricosa doesn't tend to vine much, but they're still plants that will grow several feet. Pitchers moderately sized on both.

Small pitchers doesn't translate to small plant. N. ampullaria is a monster, and most of its hybrids will eventually be as well. Most species that actually stay small also tend to be touchy growers, and their hybrids are hit or miss as far as either size or tolerance. I have N. maxima 'Lake Poso' x "Rebecca Soper" cuttings beginning to root, that will stay on the smaller side for the genus, or even standard N. ventricosa doesn't tend to vine much, but they're still plants that will grow several feet. Pitchers moderately sized on both.
Oh i know it small pitchers dont mean small plant i just specifically want a plant that has pitchers on the smaller side that would be fine with "windowsill" conditions.

Ventricosa is probably one of your better choices. The pitchers don't go much over 6 inches for the commonly available clones and the vines have short internodes so they add height more slowly than others. However, nepenthes are just generally large plants and the small plants are usually difficult to grow.

Ventricosa is probably one of your better choices. The pitchers don't go much over 6 inches for the commonly available clones and the vines have short internodes so they add height more slowly than others. However, nepenthes are just generally large plants and the small plants are usually difficult to grow.
I actually have a vent x inermis but idk how well it would do as a "window" candidate. The pitchers are small but its a cutting that i got like 3 months ago so only has 2 pitchers so idk how it would do with humidity fluctuations. My gaya would probably be great but its been under a high amount of light for a while and every leaf on it has pitchered without fail. So its pretty accimilated to a good amount of light more than any of my neps get

Back