What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello From the PNW

hello fellow CP'ers

i have browsed the forums for while now, learned north American pitcher plants and cobra lily grow so much better outdoors. do not have much in way of place for many outdoor plants, so looking to get a terraium setup indoors have some dews and pings that will do ok.

look forward to getting to know some of you and do on therapeutic thing i love alot and that is grow some plants. the plants i like most nowaday are the ones i can eat and ones i can watch eat.

Hello there. There's lots of us up here! It's usually quite a good climate for temperate plants but this winter was pretty nasty. If you live near Portland a bunch of us get together once a month - there's info in the local CP group subforum.

If you're just getting started, I'd forget the terrarium. Most CPs grow well in open air and it's a lot less complicated and problem-prone compared to terrariums.

Hi SkaMania! Welcome to TerraForums. I second nimbulan's suggestion that a terrarium might not be necessary to start with pings and dews. I don't have too much experience, but have had a small ping / dew collection under some lights for about 1.5 years now - just on a shelf (no enclosure).

i'm closer to seattle and have had various cp over the years. i know for sundews specificly may not need terraium, but live in a small apartment so would like to have them in my old 5 gallon hexagon fish tank. orignally i had got all my CP from a place in seattle, had thouse for good 3 or 4 years then had move so gave up mky cp. then about another 3 years later i had found this place and rekindled my cp hobby, got buncha plants from homer back then, lost interestin cp, went crazy wuth the fish tnks, now fastworward 5-6 years here i am, now picked up vft from lowes closeout 50 cents, have couple sarr. that gonna go outside in pot on front patio when they get bigger and i have money get the containers i want. till i can afford spend on some plants or seeds i will be trying to germinate and grow the seeds i have from back in 2006 , none have sprouted so far going on 3 weeks now, was few d. capensis, d. spatulata, and last but not least some d.burmanii, then few sarr. purpea ssp purpea in my fridge waiting to complete the stratification faze. lately my health has me unable to work meaning full so some how hope these seeds germ if not will be while i feel before can spend on some cp stuff. am just itching get more plants. thanks for invite to portland CP group but at moment i would have ride bike to meet up and no way am i in the shape do such a feet just got back on bike i be lucky make it 20 miles much less then 250 .

majority of my cp i kept indoors where actually kept in clear sterlite containers on my shelf no lids, terraium was mosty for the petolaris, flaconeri and the ceph, and also had couple helimoph back then too in the terraium. outside i had some , capensis,adelae, 2 diff kinds of vft, and a cobra lily, about 5 diff sarr. the slugs ate my pings up outside.

Last edited:
Good luck with your seeds. If they've been stored well, it certainly is possible that they will germinate for you.

There are some people searching for interest in starting a CP group up in Seattle if you're close enough to there. I don't believe any of them are on Terraforums though.

Back