What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from South Carolina

• Thread starter JoeG
  • Start date

JoeG

Supporter
Hello all,
The name is Joe and as you can see from my profile I have been hanging around here for a few years. I have learned a lot reading all of the interesting posts and looking at the amazing pictures. I thought it was about time to introduce my self and get a little more active.

My interests are plants of all kinds, photography, woodworking ,golf and a tissue culture. Unfortunately, when we moved to SC last year, I had to drop the TC due to lack of room. I still have 4 orchids that I started from seed.

As far as plants go, I have orchids, bonsai, nepenthes and misc flowery stuff. I love butterworts and can start pulling like crazy on paper towels but kill them within a year. I have about 15 mature orchids that bloom all the time, 4 bonsai that I started about 30 to 35 years ago and 1 new plant. So far the nepenthes are doing well. My densiflora x robcanleyi is big and healthy after 5+ years. He is in spike again. I also have 3 other small nepenthes that I recently bought that are doing good, so far.
The first pictures is my 2 new plants and the second my old nepenthes and the third one of the bonsai. I still have a baby nepenthes in the mail.

I’m hoping to learn more about carnivorous plants and maybe acquire a “few” more.

Attachments

• 6E9438E1-BC4C-485A-804F-324E358A423E.jpeg
    6E9438E1-BC4C-485A-804F-324E358A423E.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DF111609-1BF8-44AD-8CF5-E77BDE558B75.jpeg
    DF111609-1BF8-44AD-8CF5-E77BDE558B75.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 8E3967C1-713F-405C-B11E-1694CC9C0AEA.jpeg
    8E3967C1-713F-405C-B11E-1694CC9C0AEA.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 10
Wow - 2016 makes you an old-timer here! Nice for you to step up and introduce yourself. That's a nice-looking collection. You mentioned difficulties with butterworts. Do you grow Mexican or others?

Mexican. I tried about 4 different ones. I could get them to flower but keep getting rot at the middle of the plant. I think it was too wet, but my adjustments also killed them. I was using an all mineral mix.

For what it's worth - I have had more success with a more standard cp mix, heavy on the perlite. I think this is one of the best short online write-ups of cultivation technique I have seen: Growing Mexican Pinguicula

Thanks bluemax. I looked at the write up. If I get any, I’ll give it a try.

Glad to see you jumping in! Lets see them pings :)

Hello there from Greenville county. I definitely recommend you pick up some Sarracenia. Wonderful plants, and the best part is most of them require almost no care if you grow them outside in full sun since several species grow and/or once grew in South Carolina. Same thing with flytraps and native species of sundews like Drosera filiformis.

Thanks for the comments. I’m in Aiken.
I never even thought about flytraps. Back in the day, in Illinois, I killed so many flytraps from Lowes that I had given up on them. Being here in SC I will give it another try. Maybe a better supplier would help too. I did do some checking on Sarracenia when I was on vacation in Florida last year. I went looking for them in one of the state parks and actually found some. That was in the Pensacola area. I left them and only kept the pictures.

Back