What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Sin City

Hi, my name is Mya and I am currently trying to grow CP's in what is quite possible the worst place to grow them, Las Vegas. :tumbleweed:

I do not have a terrarium set up at the moment but I am going shopping for supplies in a few days and will hopefully have one soon

I mostly grow Nepenthes, but have a few VFT's and Sundews.

Anyways, happy to be here and hope to learn a lot :D

Welcome to Terraforums Mya! Hope to see pictures of your plants.

Welcome Mya.

If you want to see an inexpensive, shoddy way of setting up a Terrarium, just take a look at my thread. :p

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/136881-Almost-ready-I-hope

Not including the cost of the aquarium, stand (I already had them) or plants....I think I spent a grand total of $60. That includes light hood, bulbs, containers, timer outlet, and computer fan. It's not pretty, but it's very serviceable.

If you're hurting for an aquarium, Petco (if you have them out there) often have "$1 a gallon" sales on aquariums. That's where I picked up my 20, 30, and 40 gallons.

Last edited:
I don't know, given the brutality of the winters and just the bipolar weather in my home state, I might have it worse, as I have to combat lack of humidity, freezing cold, dry heat spells... All the more reason to just grow them indoors.

Welcome to Terraforums Mya! Hope to see pictures of your plants.

Thanks! I'll try to upload pictures as soon as I can :)

Welcome Mya.

If you want to see an inexpensive, shoddy way of setting up a Terrarium, just take a look at my thread. :p

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/136881-Almost-ready-I-hope

Not including the cost of the aquarium, stand (I already had them) or plants....I think I spent a grand total of $60. That includes light hood, bulbs, containers, timer outlet, and computer fan. It's not pretty, but it's very serviceable.

If you're hurting for an aquarium, Petco (if you have them out there) often have "$1 a gallon" sales on aquariums. That's where I picked up my 20, 30, and 40 gallons.

I will definitely check out the thread! I've been searching for an building guide so that will probably be very helpful

I don't know, given the brutality of the winters and just the bipolar weather in my home state, I might have it worse, as I have to combat lack of humidity, freezing cold, dry heat spells... All the more reason to just grow them indoors.

Wow, I thought I had it rough. Well I guess smooth seas don't make a skillful sailors!

Yeah, Michigan can be quite something. Summers can get over 100 degrees, winters like this year below -20 degrees. If CPs don't fry from the heat, they are frozen to death from the cold, except for a number of native species. Which brings it down to I think 3 drosera, 1 sarracenia, maybe a butterwort? Not many.

Welcome to TF!

Back