What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Colorado

• Thread starter Allenw88
  • Start date
I just got started with this planting here but here is my collection so far. I have some sundews, pitchers, pings, and the basic VFT. I recently put them all in an aquarium due to the winter coming up here ( unless someone can help me out here in Colorado with the weather and how to grow them lol). I have a humidifier, LED light system, and an automatic watering system with an Arduino board that I coded for weekend or week trips. I’m still learning but I’d love to take the advice from anyone with tons more experience than me.

Attachments

• 6B71B617-C4B5-4F18-A19E-58F8EB03E53B.jpeg
    6B71B617-C4B5-4F18-A19E-58F8EB03E53B.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 19DE0BF9-98D4-4280-B1A8-038D4B3F4EA0.jpeg
    19DE0BF9-98D4-4280-B1A8-038D4B3F4EA0.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 6
Good to have you! You are going to want to observe dormancy for the vft and the sarr. They won't do well long-term without it.
You have all the basics set. Now you'll need to look into each of those plants and make adjustments on your setup. Welcome to the hobby!

Good to have you! You are going to want to observe dormancy for the vft and the sarr. They won't do well long-term without it.
You have all the basics set. Now you'll need to look into each of those plants and make adjustments on your setup. Welcome to the hobby!
So for the VFT and the pitchers, do I need to pull them out, put them in their own pots and the place them out of the LED light area and humidifier? Still watering them but let them start feeling that cooler air to get ready for dormant?

In short, yes. There are a few ways to do dormancy and there are some good threads on the subject. Another challenge you will run into, with peat and no drainage, is that the media will become very acidic which will eventually affect the health of the capensis and the Pinguicula. That looks like a Mexican ping which would favor a more basic media pH. That's likely what you have it potted in. It's a challenge when you bring together this many plants from different locations. None of the plants you have in there need a humidifier or terrarium to be healthy, but I get the aesthetic and desire to automate. Again, there are some interesting threads with terrarium builds. You'll likely find that the humidifier never kicks on because the terrarium will just maintain. If you want your humidity controller to cycle a load, I would suggest a small fan to introduce new air and keep it moving.

Good luck 👍

Back