What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from central Alabama

Hello all! I am very new to this, don't actually have any carnivorous plants yet. But I have been researching them excessively for the last couple months. I am a college student, and I plan on actually buying some as soon as finals are over in the next month. Just can't decide what yet haha. I grow mostly house plants currently, but I think the weather here would be great for some outdoor carnivorous plants. I am especially interested in growing sarracenia, after seeing them grow wild at the Splinter Hill bog a couple years ago. Although for the moment I think I am going to stick with something smaller and more affordable and less likely to die on me, like drosera.

Welcome! Sarracenia are pretty hardy, and I've heard of them being grown successfully outdoors in many locations.

Welcome! Sarracenia are pretty hardy, and I've heard of them being grown successfully outdoors in many locations.
Thanks! I know sarracenia can be easy to grow, but I don't have anywhere to grow them indoors and for some reason I kill everything I try to grow outside. I am going to try someday, just not to start haha

Gotcha. Sarracenia should be grown outdoors. They needs lots of strong light! So when you do decide to try one, that should be your goal.

:welcome: You certainly live in a good location for outdoor growing. But the first plant can bring all sorts of revelations and many of us have started our collections by growing indoors. We've got all sorts of great info and people here - I hope you enjoy yourself.

Back