What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora maturation

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey there, I just got a lil' H. heterodoxa this weekend and I was wondering how fast they grow. Right now it's dwarfed by its 3 inch pot; the pitchers are almost two inches at the longest. The pitcher openings are tiny, less than a centimeter at the widest diameter. The entire plant is a little more than two inches diameter, about the size of a small fist. I'd like to know how long it takes them to get to the flowering/clumping stage, or how much larger they tend to grow over the course of a year. I'm in no rush, it's just that this is my first Heli and I'm wondering what to expect. Thanks!
~Joe

I also just got a new little Heliamphora. Did you order it from Sarracenia Northwest?
smile.gif

I'd like to know the answer to your question too. The little guy is so small right now!

Hi
Under good conditions it should take about 3/4 years to reach mature flowering size. This species has proved for me to be amongst the faster growing Heli.

heterodoxa.jpg

My plant which I got originally in 1997 as a tiny 1 inch plant. It has since been split up many times and this is the largest clump.:)

cheers

bill

Hey Fly-Catchers, how do you go about watering your Heliamphora? Tray method? Overhead watering? Mixture of both?

I've read that Heliamphoras dislike sitting in deep water for too long, but I've been watering my new baby Heliamphora via the tray method. It doesn't seem uphappy so far, so I'm wondering if I should just continue watering it this way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 11 2006,3:26)]Hey Fly-Catchers, how do you go about watering your Heliamphora? Tray method? Overhead watering? Mixture of both?

I've read that Heliamphoras dislike sitting in deep water for too long, but I've been watering my new baby Heliamphora via the tray method. It doesn't seem uphappy so far, so I'm wondering if I should just continue watering it this way.
Hi
I have used both methods, though the bulk of my plants- the one shown included do not sit in water. I stand them on upturned pots and water them from above. The ones in trays I use a lower water level than for my Sarracenia. As an experiment I did stand a couple of young Heli in my deeper water trays. They failed to grow well and one died!

I also keep the pitchers topped up with water (when I remember) but only occasionally mist them as again I found too much caused rot as well. As a Heli gets more mature it is more tolerent however.

cheers

bill

Thanks for the info Fly-Catchers. I should probably put much less water in my young Heliamphora's tray so I don't risk rotting the little guy.

I still feel like nobody answered the question. I'm also interested in how long in takes for H. heterodoxa to make its first mature pitcher. Assuming you purchased a one year old plant from the source LLeopardGGecko mentioned, how long would you expect it to grow a mature pitcher? Fly-catchers addressed when they reach full flowering maturity. Also, is a mature pitcher formed from a juvenile pitcher or does it start out as a mature pitcher from the base (if that makes any sense)?

Chris

They start out as mature pitchers from the base. I can't tell you how long each species takes to get to that point, but my experience is that they start to produce mature pitchers when they're 2 to 3 inches tall. My H. ionasii has the larges immature pitchers at about 3.5 inches before the mature ones start. My H. heterodoxa x minor mature pitchers start at about 1.5 inch.

Capslock

Here's a pic of the H. ionasii from a while ago. It has the largest immature pitchers among the mature ones here. At this point it's much bigger and growing like wildfire as it really likes the cool winter air.

H_ionsaii2.sized.jpg

Capslock

Hey Capslock, just to get another opinion, how do you water your plants?

EDIT: Beautiful plant! What are your conditions?

I water from the top. They sit in trays but there's never more than 1/8 inch of water from my regular watering. In addition I mist them daily when it's dry out, and not so much regularly. They sit in a tank, but there's no top on it. I have more outside the tank on racks that do well too, as the air here is naturally cool and humid. I'm trying to get more into growing heliamphora as it seems I have uniquely good conditions naturally all year round, and I believe in growing plants that you can provide good conditions easily for.

Capslock

The conditions are cool and humid. On average, summer temps are 70's day, low 60's night during summer, and 60's daytime and low 50's nighttime during winter. The humidity is higher in summer, but generally stays above 50% at minimum. This is in my basement with only heat from the lights.

Capslock

Thanks for the info Capslock. I'm glad to hear that you might be getting more into growing Heliamphora! I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful plants
smile.gif

Back