What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heating suggestions

I need a way to up the temp in my terrarium. It's hovering around 66-68 during the day. My current set-up is a 55 gal tank w/ a glass top. I'm lighting it w/ a Coralife 4' lamp that has two of the four slots filled w/ 65W 6700K compact fluorescent lamps, the other two slots are empty.

I've read about heating pads and in-water aquarium type units. Appreciate any thoughts...

Have you considered adding 1 or 2 T5s in your tank? They really can heat up a small area pretty well.

Quickest way is to fill in the empty slots on the fixture.

A more precise method of control is to place some 3 or 12" wide heat tape along the back (or 3 sides if you'd like) and hook up a temperature controller (ideally a proportional unit). You can have this on the the lighting circuit so it cools down at night and ramps up to whatever temp you want to maintain during the day.

First off, I should have posted this thread under 'Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens'...not sure why I listed it here. Can an admin move it?

Are you suggesting adding a 4' T5 along w/ the existing fixture?

I have 2 4ft T12s over my 20 gallon tank and 1 2ft T5 hanging inside the tank. It provides a nice amount of light and increases my temps by about 10 degrees easily when the tank is covered. I imagine a T5 fixture would be more then enough if you're just looking for a couple extra degrees in a 55 gallon tank. Older bulbs tend to get hotter as well in my experience. Just to be sure to keep an eye on the temps for the first couple days to get an idea where the temp will level off so you dont overcook the plant(s).

What is the extra temperature for (if you dont mind me asking)?

I need the heat to be a bit higher for the plants in this terrarium...want more of a temp difference between day/night.

I'll check into the heat tape and adding a 2' t5 or 12.

Thanks.

I'm lighting it w/ a Coralife 4' lamp that has two of the four slots filled w/ 65W 6700K compact fluorescent lamps, the other two slots are empty.
Why not just put lamps in the 2 empty slots 1st - before buying anything? :scratch:

I agree with Ron! You should first try filling the light fixture. If your looking for more humidity and heat you can always add a fish tank heater. You would have to set your tank up like this
DSC00282.JPG
. With the plants sitting above a layer of water.

A 2' t5 or 12 is less costly than the Coralife 65W 6700K compact fluorescents which are ~$25 per bulb. Plus I have glass atop the terrarium so am not sure how much heat would pass through. Humidity is not an issue as the glass top keeps it pretty high.

A 2' t5 or 12 is less costly than the Coralife 65W 6700K compact fluorescents which are ~$25 per bulb.

The way I see it is if you want 6700K in t5, t12 or compact fluorescents your going to pay ~$25 anyway.

Plus I have glass atop the terrarium so am not sure how much heat would pass through. Humidity is not an issue as the glass top keeps it pretty high.

I little heat will pass through. You can always remove the glass top if/when you add the tank heater. You will have to play with how much you cover the top to get the temps and humidity you are looking for. There is also a temp dial on the fish tank heater. I don't have a top on the terrarium in the picture. It's a highland tank so I keep the top off to keep the temps low. I then run the ultra-sonic humidifier to get the humidity up. Works great for me! Ultimately you will have to choose which ever works best for you

Some people also use a reptile mat, but I'd follow Ron's advice first.

Back