What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heard the term Glowing in the dark from radiation?

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
These are some pictures my Father took inside a nuclear power plant while they were changing some fuel rods.  He is an NDT (non-destructive tester).  He tests the turbines for cracks in the fan blades and houseing using various different metheds.  These turbines are HUGE so they need to be kept in top working order per OSHA standards because if one flies apart it will cause some damage.  While he was in one of the power plants he took these pictures of the nuclear reactor and fuel rods.  Keep in mind there are NO LIGHTS down under the water where the reactor is.  All the light in the picture is from the reactor itself and the fuel rods.  For those that do not know water is the best shield for radioactivity so the entire reactor is kept sumberged in so many feet of water at ALL TIMES.  The fuel rods are handled by a robot and also kept underwater at all times.  The rods even go in tunnels under water to the storage facilities for spent fuel rods.  I asked and these pictures are not top sectret and I was given permision to post them.  I think its interesting.  It will give you a new awareness of the power of radiation!

Remeber NO LIGHTS!!
This picture might have lights on the reactor is closed.
150937860RL342354553.jpg

No lights!!

150937871RL222071171.jpg

150937878RL743979405.jpg

150937932RL622319891.jpg

150937919RL785804406.jpg

These were taken during a refueling. Since the fuel rods wear out from time to time. This is normaly the time they get the turbines inspected I assume. My father is part of the GE turbine inspection team.

This one is called the Malox France Whatever that part is.
150937896RL973319279.jpg

This is not photoshopped this is glowing onits own!!
150937902RL699115767.jpg

150937938RL665412409.jpg

150937943RL924079270.jpg

And last but not least!  This is for you Sheridan!
The Protection!!!  Terrorist be WARNED

150937909RL158813496.jpg

Thats something you don't see everyday!Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Jerry

Wow that's cool! Looks so sci-fi!

All inside a nuclear reactor.
smile_n_32.gif
Sci-fi meets real world.

we just saw a video on radioactivity in chemistry! Radium(Ra) glows blue with no light.
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Protection!!! Terrorist be WARNED

Not to mention the reinforcement on the buildings involved are so tough that neither a direct hit from the fuselage or turbine of a big jetliner could cause penetration. They tried another test with a jet fighter (F-22, I think) slamming in to that much concrete- penetration was a couple of inches.

Thanks for sharing those pictures, I've got an interest in nuclear reactors and their workings.
smile.gif

Awsome pics. I have some radioactive rocks. You have to be careful with them. They fluoresce under short wave UV. But they don't glow like THAT. lol

Thanks for posting. Interesting!

Your welcome everyone. I figured there would be others interested in these pictures. I am glad I was right. It is simply amazing all the things around us that sometimes we don't know a thing about.

I was just reading about Radium today. Or maybe it was Rhodium. If Rhodium is not radioactive then it was Rhodium.

Radium is radioactive. IIRC

The fuel rods in the reactor are enriched uranium though. Arn't they? Thats what we are having a big coniption over with Iran. Since enriched uranium can be made into weapons grade or nuclear power grade. I think they are making weapons grade myself and believe only a few people should be allowed to make and store enriched uraium. Do it free of charge to countries like Iran and others for power purposes, but make them be accountable for all of it at all times. Anywho thats another thread all together!

Cool pics
smile_n_32.gif

Do those fuel rods glow like that all the time or is it because of the nuclear reaction making them hot and they are glowing from the heat?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...because of the nuclear reaction making them hot and they are glowing from the heat?
oh no no no no! the metal is so radioactive that it is glowing. not because of heat! it kinda brings a meaning to the cartoon radioactiveness with the yellow glow
smile_n_32.gif

Alex

Did america invent nuclear technology?

I dunno... Why does Iran need nuclear energy when they have all that oil? If they do indeed want it for energy purposes then I think that's ok, but I don't trust a man who is friends with Hugo Chaves and I don't think their motives are innocent. The entire world is telling them to drop it and they won't listen. Look at India. They wanted nuclear technology so we gave it to them. India is a very peaceful country so I trust them completely. Pakistan didn't think it was fair that we gave it to India but not them. Well duh, they are PAKISTAN! They won't leave India alone for one thing and that's reason enough not to give it to them.

no i think it was poland that discovered it. Madame Curie?
Alex

Marie Curie and her husdand (Peirre?) discovered radium. There was a third person involved also and I can't remember his name. This person went on to do research on uranium and begin the whole nuclear tech.
Wilhelm Röntgen I believe discovered what is known as radiation. I think in Germany. I can't remember the year but it was soon before the Curies' discovery.
They all died from massive exposure.

Did we atleast invent it?

Heck I duno. We invented the nuclear bomb first I know that. We dropped the first two made after tests of course. On Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Heck we threated to drop it before it was even complete!

I think we were the first to develop a working reactor.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Enrico Fermi and Leó Szilárd, while both were at the University of Chicago, were the first to build a nuclear pile and demonstrate a controlled chain reaction on December 2, 1942. In 1955 they shared U.S. Patent 2,708,656 for the nuclear reactor.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Reactor

Back