What's new

Healthy Traps!

I have had these VFT's for a month now, and they are looking pretty good. There is some healthy coloration on the new traps, and there's a bunch of new ones on the way. One plant is producing especially large traps, which have a beautiful red color.

zbnpeAjl.jpg

S7FTJDll.png

the same trap shortly after opening

OS5Z3Fhl.jpg

the family

Just thought I would share. I'm putting them through dormancy next year because I think they deserve a good growth season prior to their dormancy. Just thought I would share! Happy holidays! :bigthumpup:

(Edit: I am aware that the leaf attached to the big trap has discoloration. I think that this is due to a bit too much water and that it was formed while the plant was adjusting to the new light levels.)

Last edited:
Looking good. They look to be some pretty good sized flytraps there. I wish my was more conducive to flytraps here without needing a bog pot.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Looking good. They look to be some pretty good sized flytraps there. I wish my was more conducive to flytraps here without needing a bog pot.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

It would be impossible for me to winter them outside. Chiberian (Chicago+ Siberia) winters are like a cryogenic freezer. Currently we are under a wind chill advisory, with -30 degree wind chill possible. Over the summer I think I will make a trip to Volo bog and take some pictures of the pitcher plants that live there. The upper Midwest is crazy season wise.
:bigthumpup:

bluemax

Lotsa blue
Supporter
I think it is always fun to have flytraps growing in winter and I love to see people growing them then.

For what it is worth - I winter my flytraps in my garage, while just keeping them moist, which is about 10 -15 degrees F. warmer than the out of doors so they don't usually hit freezing. I have used the refrigerator in the past but my collection is 'way too large for that anymore, ha!

I think it is always fun to have flytraps growing in winter and I love to see people growing them then.

For what it is worth - I winter my flytraps in my garage, while just keeping them moist, which is about 10 -15 degrees F. warmer than the out of doors so they don't usually hit freezing. I have used the refrigerator in the past but my collection is 'way too large for that anymore, ha!

Cool. Would it be a good idea to put a heating mat underneath one of the containers? I moved them into the basement since they were getting crowded.
uRPMhppl.jpg

while moving them, I also re-potted a few.
VhEQK4Ll.jpg

The heating mat I'm looking at has temperature control, but I don't know if they would enjoy warm roots.