What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Health check on my new plants

I received most of my plants about two weeks ago and transplanted them into my terrarium. Since then I've been taking photos every day or two to track their progress. The problem is: it's been 15 years since I did much of anything with CPs (or any plant), and even then I was no expert. So I'd love to get some insights.

These photos were taken about 4.5 days apart for a total span of 9 days. The first is from about 4 days after transplant.

Big Mouth VFT:
->->

Australian Red Rosetted:
->->

Drosera Capensis:
->->

Sarr - Scarlette Bell:
->->

So the traps on the VFTs, especially the Big Mouth, have turned much redder especially on the new growth. That seems like a good sign to me. And the new traps seem reasonably sized, at least on the Big Mouth. The ARR is showing much more limited growth. What other markers are apparent that indicate positive or negative conditions?

The Capensis is a little odd. I've watched several new leaves unfurl, the first of which curled completely backward upon itself despite looking otherwise healthy. Each successive new leaf has a little more dew than the last, which I think is a good sign, though even the newest has a pretty modest dew level to my eyes.

The new growth on my Sarr is very green and very tall, not to mention very vertical. I know the least about Sarrs. How does this guy look? Is he healthy? Is there anything I should look to change? Does the tall new growth indicate good health because it has enough resources to grow so large, or bad health in that it's reaching for more light?

Thanks! :)

Everything looks like it is doing very well.
Capensis: I have had some display this behavior when humidity is really low. If your humidity is not very low it’s probably still adapting. It will be fine. I have never had one die after displaying such behavior.
Big mouth: that red coloration is anthocyanin being produced by the plant it is healthy, it means it is getting plenty of light. This also occurs in flytraps or when light is abundant but temperature is cool, flytraps love heat. As long as there is no visible burn to the plant this is normal.( when you see light burn you will know it, that is not light burn)
AAR: this is known to be a slow growing variety. I have 3 they chug along at the same rate as my “pink Venus” flytraps. Some of the slowest I have growing. Keep in mind both of these flytraps (BM+ AAR)are quite colorful when growing healthy it’s normal.
Sarr: I am least familiar with these however some of the most colorful ones I have start green just like that and don’t begin to color up until the new trap or pitcher is open and pretty much fully formed. The new growth simply looks like a response to a lot of bright light (it’s getting bigger)

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Couch; that's really helpful.

My humidity has been tough to keep steady. I'm at around 70% - 80% most of the time, but it drops to 45% - 55% by the time the grow lights have been on for 8 hours. I know I'm skirting the low end of the range there, but at least it's higher the majority of the time.

Glad to hear about the Sarr. I hoped that was the case. I just know that I've had garden plants that react to low light that way; reaching up as if to try to break through the canopy of other plants. I'll keep an eye on it.

My five plants all rest in the front half of the terrarium, while the grow light sits above the back half. Should I spin my plants occasionally to promote symmetric growth (you can already see asymmetry), or will they be fine as they are?

Last edited:
Back