What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone used Osmocote in heliamphoras?

I've been dusting bloodworms into my pitcher but i want to know if anybody else has put osmocote in them?

I can't remember for sure who said it but i do remember hearing someone has done it, i can't remember if it was on this site or a cp owner on my cacti forum..hmm if i remember I'll edit this post too copy the info or link that it's mentioned in if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Link on here where it's mentioned:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/136649-Osmocote-in-pitchers

Theirs another one I'm still searching for..

Here it is:
http://icps.proboards.com/thread/6677/foliar-feed-seedlings

Qoute bottom of page: "I have used the 100 ppm solution to water Heliamphora however I have had better results with adult Heliamphora using one Osmocote pellet per pitcher (you have to add water up to the drain hole and keep it there if it evaporates). I also use osmocote pellets in Nepenthes and Cephalotus pitchers ONLY when the plants pump water into their pitchers on their own."

Last edited:
So it sounds like this wouldn't work with Heliamphora heterodoxa since that species will not retain water in the pitchers. I may try it on my minor.

So it sounds like this wouldn't work with Heliamphora heterodoxa since that species will not retain water in the pitchers. I may try it on my minor.

Really?

So it sounds like this wouldn't work with Heliamphora heterodoxa since that species will not retain water in the pitchers.

Uh?

Can you share a picture of your plant ?

I believe people have successfully soil fertilized this genus. It wouldn't surprise me if Osmocote was used.

I think perhaps nimulan is equating the presence of a drain hole on the pitchers with no fluid. Contemporary thinking is that the drainage hole is to keep the basically lidless pitchers from overfilling.

It was my understanding that H. heterodoxa has a drain hole at the very bottom of the pitcher unlike other species. My plant only has one mature pitcher currently but that seems to be the case.

It was my understanding that H. heterodoxa has a drain hole at the very bottom of the pitcher unlike other species. My plant only has one mature pitcher currently but that seems to be the case.

You really do need to show a photo of your plant.

H heterodoxa has a drain hole that regulates the amount of liquid in the pitcher. Too high a water level and the prey has nothing to fall in to. Too low a level and the prey has nothing to drown in.
With your description the constant total drainage in the high rainfall climate will wash out any nutrients gained by having the traps before the plant has a chance to use them.

Back