What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone put a Darlingtonia through dormancy in northern new england?

Thanks jrod!
I just got one that is not acclimated at all to my conditions. Most of my sarras survived being frozen solid on a protected porch, but that was with temps being lowered slowly, naturally. It's already been down into the 30's here.
Any ideas would be helpfull.
peace,
Zero

I'm in the Buffalo, NY area, which isn't terribly different than Maine. But I have had mine in minibogs and I have either toted them to a sunny window sill in the attic or loaned to a co-worker and placed in his garage, by a window. Both approaches work.

Or, maybe you can do like Wildbill, In Connecticut, and heavily mulch them for the winter.

Darlingtonia are tough. I would bet you could leave them outside in a sheltered location all winter.

Thanks jrod!
I just got one that is not acclimated at all to my conditions. Most of my sarras survived being frozen solid on a protected porch, but that was with temps being lowered slowly, naturally. It's already been down into the 30's here.
Any ideas would be helpfull.
peace,
Zero

In Northern California near the Oregon border, I've seen Darlingtonia stands in the snow, so a New England winter will not pose too much of a challenge. Just the diminishing light with winter will be enough to trigger its dormancy. I would just ensure that the compost itself doesn't freeze . .

Northern New England gets pretty cold, significantly colder than 'old' England. Darlingtonia come from 3,000 miles west, in a maritime climate, similar to the UK. Our Northeast isn't nearly as moderated.

BigBella,
the substrate will freeze solid in the winter.
I am not sure how to get around this???

Northern New England gets pretty cold, significantly colder than 'old' England. Darlingtonia come from 3,000 miles west, in a maritime climate, similar to the UK. Our Northeast isn't nearly as moderated.

There are Darlingtonia which exist at higher altitudes, to over 2400 meters (7874 feet) with weeks of snow, ice, and sub-zero Tbs during winter -- not simply those stands near the coast. I don't care where you are, but 8000 feet above sea level is very cold in the dead of winter . . .

He might have something on the order of a TC, "Lowes cube of death" plant. Those things struggle to make it out of the cube! So I guess we have to determine what pedigree this plant is.

pic, but I have no idea of it's origins.
DARLING.jpg

I wouldn't leave it outside unless it was heavily mulched, a la WildBill. I'd go with an attic or garage with some sort of window light or artificial lighting, roughly mimicking winter's photoperiod. Just to be safe...

Back