What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handeling Exposed Tubers/Roots

Hey all,

I got some S. Leucophyllum 'Hurricane Creek' last spring. I planted them in tall pots with a sand/peat mixture and they did pretty well.

Over the winter, due to settling/compaction, and rain, the tops of the root ball, tuber, or whatever you want to call it has become exposed. It looks like one of them is putting out a flower spike. The spike is about 2" tall right now. I'm wondering if it's okay to just take a little more of my mix and cover over the tops of these? I think they're normally buried. I won't bury the spike of course, just the rest of the plant and around the spike. I figure the new growths will push up through this thin layer. I'm talking about maybe an inch.

Thanks for the help.

I think you are referring to the rhizome. They naturally push themselves out of the soil a little, I leave them exposed as they are.

It's usually recommended to keep the top of the rhizome exposed rather than burying it. The light and air movement will help keep it healthy and prevent fungal growth.

Thanks. I'll leave it exposed.

Back