What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H/L box idea..

Do you guys think this would work? :scratch:

I just got a large standing freezer (for food).. I was thinking of mounting lights on the sides and a couple on the top, then setting it on a night timer. I just have to see what kind of warm temps the freezer is capable of. I don't want to turn anything into ice cycles..

As it takes at minimum a few hours for a freezer to fully cool down, you could probably set it at 30 mins or so at any temperature and there would be a significant, but not freezing cooldown. You'd have to maybe mount a small fan at the back so the temperature is the same on all sides, but it seems like an interesting idea.

Yeah, i've heard about the coolers working before.. but I've never seen a real CONSTRUCTED ONE. I've just heard people talking about it etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, i've heard about the coolers working before.. but I've never seen a real CONSTRUCTED ONE. I've just heard people talking about it etc.. Oh, another thing, CP's don't determine growing experience. General knowledge is always helpful.. especially if you're on Millionaire. Just saying. :l

Give me a week or two and I'll be sure to take plenty of pics.

Ok moving onto the Topic at hand.. Sounds like a good idea, but being a noobie myself (and it being impossible as I live in barracks) I wouldn't test it or even dare to try it. I don't know how low the temps would drop nor how quickly it would take to get low. Also, once it reaches a certain point, does the temp. decrease more quickly from there or maintain a constant state of decrease? Is it possible to set a way to maintain your desired temp without destroying anything? Write questions down and answer them (written of course) and keep on writing for a few days before making an attempt. Only a few suggestions. Either way, good luck with whatever decision!

we have all the same questions. I decided to run a serious of tests to find out the answers. Record everything I discover, and make my own decisions. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

By standing freezer do you mean a deep freeze that people use in their garage to store meats? I've seen a few members do this, most notably Neps but I don't know if he ever posts here anymore. You could try and PM him, his setup was great so do a search for posts by him.

I have fantasies of using a grocery store display freezer as a HL setup. 6 - 7 ft tall x 6 - 7 ft wide and 3 feet deep, temp controlled, already wired for lights and two glass front doors. That would be great to do a naturalistic HL tank inside of.

By standing freezer do you mean a deep freeze that people use in their garage to store meats? I've seen a few members do this, most notably Neps but I don't know if he ever posts here anymore. You could try and PM him, his setup was great so do a search for posts by him.

I have fantasies of using a grocery store display freezer as a HL setup. 6 - 7 ft tall x 6 - 7 ft wide and 3 feet deep, temp controlled, already wired for lights and two glass front doors. That would be great to do a naturalistic HL tank inside of.

That store freezer would be awesome!! Sounds perfect from the get go.. And yeah, it's the same kind that your talking about. I'll do some research on it. His username was 'Neps'..?

Yeah, he's mostly on the mantid forum now but his old posts are probably in the archives here. User name was "Neps".

I totally agree. I have imagined a fantasy setup like that too.

You'll have to troll his old posts, hopefully there will be something on his freezer setup.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=794373

I've heard of people getting things like the store freezer off Craigslist for their "man cave" but I don't have a way to lug that up the stairs into my condo... maybe plug it in out in the Garage! :D

Yes, I think this is a good idea. You may need to refit the compressor so that it doesn't churn at full blast for hours every time it starts up, but to get it working all you'll basically need is to tweak the thermostat. I imagine that if you were clever you could probably rig some sort of timer in there to automatically have a higher daytime thermostat setting than night.
That said, you can get something pretty similar from off-the-shelf parts for about $1000; air conditioner, wire racks, cement-mixing tubs and a grow-tent like some of the folks on here use.
Didn't superimposedhope also have something like this? Or was his a converted shower stall?
~Joe

Back