What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
Hey all! It's been a while...long story short, I'm moving to a new place here in Gainesville that has some outdoor space and I'm thinking of downsizing my collection (pretty much exclusively Drosera now) to those that can do well outside year round.

9a indicates winters that can get down to 20-25F, which is rare, but happened one or two evenings this past year. I'm assuming anything considered a "US native" is fine, and probably many of the subtropical species I have would grow ok, but I'm not sure what would be best. As I said, I'm trying to downsize.

Anyways, my grow list is out of date, so here's what I currently have:

-D. adelae
-D. madagascarensis
-D. capensis (typical, alba)
-D. filiformis (red)
-D. aliciae
-D. binata
-D. spatulata (pink)
-D. burmanii
-D. tok x rotundifolia
-D. admirabilis
-D. capillaris (long arm)
-D. 'pretty rosette'
-D. 'lantau island'

I probably misspelled something, so ask if something looks off...but I'd appreciate any help as I've never done anything but indoor growing successfully. Thanks!

Last edited:
Roughly sorted by what I perceive as descending order of chance of surviving. I could be totally off base with some.

Should do ok, should form winter buds
-D. filiformis (red)
-D. tok x rotundifolia
-D. capillaris (long arm)

Die down to the roots, but better than even chance of surviving
-D. admirabilis
-D. aliciae
-D. binata
-D. capensis (typical, alba)

Probably not survive - I'd bring them indoors if temps get below 40°F
-D. madagascarensis
-D. spatulata (pink)
-D. 'pretty rosette'
-D. 'lantau island'
-D. burmanii

Maybe bring indoors if below mid 40s.
-D. adelae

The nice thing about Drosera is they don't take much space. In zone 10b if the temperatures are predicted to drop too low for my comfort zone plants come indoors.

Thanks! I was hoping to not really have anything setup at all for indoors, and since there are stretches below or near 40F for a lot of the winter, I'd probably not go with anything on the lower half of the list then...unless there's disagreement from anyone.

Last edited:
I'd say you could potentially go with spatulata in addition to the top half of the above list. Mine tend to be very forgiving, although I will add that we don't tend to see temps too far below 45F.

Thanks Iwest!

I'm leaning towards just keeping the 3 "natives" (along with my lone P. primulaflora) and starting some Sarracenia spp. found in FL next spring.

Yeah, D. spatulata is questionable as it has such a wide north-south range. A lot would depend on where it was from originally. Probably you could get some clues by looking at the populations in Japan where they overlap with D. rotundifolia and D. tokaiensis is found. About the southern extreme for D. rotundifolia and and the northern extreme for D. spatulata.

I tend to treat D. spatulata as an annual/biennial as the plants don't seem to last much more than two years.

Last edited:
Back