What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing area revitalization

LOL  I hear ya Justin.  I still have wood left over.  I have enough planks left to put a plank floor in my GH.  It was a pretty good sized deck I had, but it just wasn;t built propperly.  So it is now history.  The 2x8's and 2x10's can both be ripped down into 2x4's with a table saw. Remember a 2x4 is not accualy 4 inches wide, but rather only 3.5 inches.  It is just a pain to pull all the nails from the wood so it can be used again, and safely cut.  Just takes a little patience and time.  If you do decide to do it, take it slow so you don't ruin the wood.

I am about to have to spend about 100+ bucks on some plywood for the bottom layer and then plastic and some other things so when it is all said and done I may have 500 bucks into it.  

So if you do decide to do it Justin just remember a nail gun is your friend!!  And get some help because I couldn't have done this by my self.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

I wanna build a Green house now!

you do realize that you should get a bumble bee colony for youre Green house so you can Get those seeds from youre orchids! They stay really small nothing like bee hives. (People do it I swear)

Yeah I know some people do, but then I would get alot of cross polination and would never know what the hybrids would be. Hand pollinating orchids is easy enough that its not a problem. There is normaly only 2 pollin globules and not a dust like pollin as with most other flowers.  When I build a Lab area to do my own flasking I will start hand pollinating my own hybrids.  Right now I just do species selfings or crosses between two if I have two, and send to Troy Myers.  He will flask species seed for free and send me a flask of about 25 plants about a year later.  All I do is pay for shipping of the flask.  He charges for hybrids.  Orchid seeds have to be sown invetro when growing in culitvation.  

I will be working some more on the GH tomorrow and will have new pictures to post later in the day.

*Walks in, looks around*

Where's JB? Any progress?

Yup Yup there has been progress.  I just spend ALL day working on it yesterday.  It is about 90% complete not.  I just need to add the second layers of plastic, the fans and wiring and the compression strips to hold the plastic tight in the wind.  She is just about done!  I will be working on it more later.  The 13 hours I worked on it yesterday after the gym has worn me out.  Not to mention I got a little sun again too.  OK here are some pictures of the progress.

153103007RL373249142.jpg

153103022O922643678.jpg

Told you it was going to have a plank floor!  This I think sets it off and makes the GH look good.

153103052O025093905.jpg

153103085O630561353.jpg

153103067RL358758680.jpg

153103093RL521572113.jpg

153103116RL512811314.jpg

If I was not so tired from the long day yesterday I would be out there now installing the exhaust fan and intake vent.  But I need a break climbing up and down the later installing the plastic last night not to mention I did my cycling class yesterday has gotten me whooped.  I am just about ready to start refortifying the old benches and making some new ones.

It looks good and sturdy. Since you have white walls you could plant some bushes around the paremeter and it would look totally tight! Are you sure you shouldn't put plastic on the front, too?

What do you mean front? Over the plywood? Nah don't need it. Its painted and might eventualy side it. I plan on building a bog around the perimeter Atleast on the one long front side. I am not done putting up plastic. I still have to cover the hole left in the door and but plastic on the inside too.

Oh man a bog garden! of course! That's a lot of plants!

*Walks in, hears crickets*

JB?

smile_k_ani_32.gif

I cant say I like youre Half wall, but its youre setup and it looks nice either way!

Cant wait to see the FINISHED project withplants and every thing, HURRY UP!

I'm still working LOL I put a whole in my finger building the thermastat control box. It is now finished and temprarily installed. One for heating and one for fans. My mother is in town it is my sister and mothers Bday weekend and my nephews Bday is tuesday so I have gotten to a temporary stopping place till tomorrrow (tues) I have 3 benches in the GH with plants on them, but they are just set in there at the moment. I brought in the Dews, Pings and Utrics. The nepenthes are still outside well, all except for the cuttings they are in. My outside temos are still favorable only getting down to 55 or so so they are still outside. I have two more walls to put the second layer of plastic on, but I am waiting till I get some more electrical done. The hard piping and rainwater pump are going to have to wait till I get more funds. So I see it being a work in progress over the next year to get it completely like I want it. More pictures soon I promise.
smile.gif

I just noticed it looks like youre Roof is kind of Concaved, arent you worried about the water pooling their?

i noticed that to...it may be the angle

I dunno he might get the idea and let us know whats going on with it.

There is water pooling on the last two rafters.  I just nocitced it when I put up the shade cloth.  I don't think it is going to hurt anything this year.  Not enough pools to do any harm I don't think.  It still runs off.  Next year I ap going to rent a paint sprayer and spray paint the entire structure and then cover the top atleast with twin wall polycarbinate sheeting.  It is rigid and will not let water pool like the poly film does.  I am keeping my fingers crossed over the winter, and hopefully it will hold up.  Like I said not much water is able to pool because of the angle, but there is some poolage.

I am also working on getting the thing finished.  My mother was in town and I have had things to do.  I work tonight and tomorrow.  I will be working on it Fri morning after work and the gym.  Since this weekend is suposed to be cold.  I also kinda ran out of funds on this paycheck and am waiting till I get paid again.  I need to guy some new hooks and chains to hold up the pipe I plan to use for hanging my hanging stuff on the rafters.  Its getting there.  The thing is functional now with all the temp wiring for the fans and heaters if I had to do a code blue and move all the plants into the GH for a cold night.  It is just not how I want it yet.  Still two walls to cover with the second layer, but I need to get wiring done first.    
smile_n_32.gif

Yall want it done faster come over and help.
smile_m_32.gif
  He he.  It would be nice if this was all I had to worry about, but alas it is not and I do have to work and finish other things too.

Ok Keep in mind it is not totally finished yet, but the temps warrant plants get moved in so here is what I have so far.

I have one more bench to finish, but my drill died, and I have to get some things to hang the poles so I can hang the hanging plants from the rafters.

156961204O275357653.jpg

156961230O825293031.jpg

156961233O430327884.jpg

156961238O815056406.jpg

156961240O006323615.jpg

156961261O284960787.jpg

156961290O105104625.jpg

And these are the two control boxes that I use to control the electrical sockets that the fans and heaters are connected to.  The clean new looking one is the thing I was working on when I put the hole in my finger!!!

156961265O705269119.jpg

Enjoy.  More to come when I get things more organized.  Finally clean up has started to.  So hopefully my yard will be back to normal too.  No more wood piles!!!!!!

AWESOME!

Your cynoches looks a little droopy, but everything else looks like they made the transition great.

WOW!! Dude that is awsome. Can we get a close-up of pic #6 (the tote full of pots) ?

yes please Number six!

Man.. I want a Green house 10x as much now!
smile_h_32.gif

Another call for a closer picture of 6. What is the green? Did you just fill the bin with peat and spagh and it's growing peat moss?

Great looking GH. Paint me jealous.

xvart.

Back