What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow list

Hi D,

On killies I would recommend Fundulopanchax gardneri as the best all time beginner's killie. It is gorgeous, very hardy, lots of personality, easily bred and can get to about 3 inches so it has some size. It will eat small fish like a neon but that's it. Other good beginner killies would be Aphyosemion striatum and Aphy. australe. If you want to try the soil spawners then Simpsonichthys whitei and constanceae are very easy South American species with egg incubation period of 2-3 months. If you like the African annuals try Nothobranchius guentheri or foerschi. They also have 2-3 month peat incubation period for the eggs.
Killies like quiet water, live or frozen food with some dry food, plants, easy going slow moving tankmates, perfectly covered tanks as they jump, temps between 70-75F, shaded spots and water changes.
If the gardneri are alone in a tank of soft acid water full of plants babies will just start to appear especially if you feed a little live baby brine shrimp each day.
If you want a big easy to keep killie I'd try the glorious Blue Gularis Fundulopanchax sjoestedti. They are incredibly beautiful, 5 inches long, tough, smart, will eat small fish at times and easy to breed over peat or spawning mops. They are my favorite killie.
There are alot of killie guys in your city so you shouldn't have to buy them in a shop. Check out the American Killifish Association webpage <www.aka.org>. They have a listserv called Killitalk you can join that is full of information and you could post a message for local breeders in your area. You might end up with more beginners fish than you know what to do with -- at no cost. Killie guys can be very generous.

Bobby

Bobby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Nov. 02 2003,6:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ Nov. 02 2003,10:07)]I think Aric is the correct spelling.  He's a hobbyist who also runs the best LFS (Local Fish Store, for all you CP nuts
wink.gif
) i've found (Gills).  
LOl,

LFs, local fish store

LFs, live fresh sphagnum!
and LFS, long fibered sphagnum!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
ghostface.gif

Wooh, here is my fish/aquatic snail growlist..

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>2 gallon:</span>

•1 male betta

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>29 gallon:</span>

•2 Angelfish (one black veil/typical hybrid, as you can faintly see darker stripes on his sides, and one koi/marble hybrid)
•2 female Platties (one mottled one and one 'mickey mouse' variety one)
•2 Glass Cats
•1 YoYo Loach
•3 Cories (cutest things in the world.. two bronzes and one... um... strange-looking, huge one with a gray patch on both eyes and close-packed dark gray spots all over the body... no, not a panda variety)
•2 Ottocinclus
•2 Albino Glowlight Tetras
•2 huge Golden Apple Snails

Back