What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse Swamp Cooler Help

Just recently got a greenhouse over Christmas and has been great for keeping the raging winds of South Texas from hurting my pepper plants but am looking into setting it up for my CPs. The greenhouse is 8ft by 6ft and am hoping to find a swamp cooler for the job, if anyone could give me some advice on choosing one or a specific model, that would be great, Thanks in advance!

This is what I have for my 6ft x 8ft GH... http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100143013?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=evaporative+cooler&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100143013#.UT61nhz_mSo

It took a lot of searching and stress, but I finally found it. Here is the thread if it is any help... http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?131786-PLEASE-HELP!!!-Swamp-Cooler!!!

It is a bit expensive, but it is great and built for the outdoors, so it won't break down in sunlight. My old swamp cooler was plastic and just sat on the shelf in my greenhouse and basically made it more humid and a tiny bit cooler, but this new one (linked to above) I sat on the outside and it cools the greenhouse from where it would heat up to nearly 100F in the sun on a warm day to somewhere in the 70F range. Haven't tested it in summer yet. On high cool, it can exchange all of the air out of the greenhouse in about 10 seconds. I've only ever used it on low cool, but in TX I would imagine high cool would be handy. It keeps it around 60% humidity in the middle of the day.

I didn't want to hook it up to the hose (that's what you're supposed to do, it keeps fresh water running in all the time) so I put a huge storage container on top a drilled a hole in it and ran a hose down from the container to the swamp cooler water intake place so it fills it up automatically. Just have to refill the container every few days.

This is a pretty sweet set up. I would probably do one of these when I live somewhere on flat ground.

That was the model I was origanally looking at, seems like a solid model will have to get it soon...

Back