What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green Sea Anemone

anemone 9.18.21.JPG

I saw these Green Sea Anemones in tide pools on the Palos Verdes Peninsula over the weekend. They are green because they have chlorophyll as plants do. ...Carnivorous, quasi plants.

I've seen anemones in the wild before, but haven't come across any with chlorophyll yet...or I might have, just a chlorophyll form that's not green (since many species host algal symbionts of various types)...
There are many organisms with chlorophyll that aren't plants though, I wouldn't use that as a trait to associate with being semi-plant. Certain flatworms, several algal phyla, euglenids, etc.

This is a good example , your post reminded me of seeing this a few years back

I've seen anemones in the wild before, but haven't come across any with chlorophyll yet...or I might have, just a chlorophyll form that's not green (since many species host algal symbionts of various types)...
There are many organisms with chlorophyll that aren't plants though, I wouldn't use that as a trait to associate with being semi-plant. Certain flatworms, several algal phyla, euglenids, etc.
Considering its development, through symbiosis, I like to think of it as a natural animal x plant hybrid. An old term for this is *chimaera*.

This is a good example , your post reminded me of seeing this a few years back
Fantastic!

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
~Shakespeare

Back