What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Music Mixer

Ok, so Im wondering what good music Mixers are their for computers? Cause I want to mix my own (techno/rave/trance/dance you get the idea) Tracks. does any one have any sudgestions? Ive heard of some, But I want to get personal opinions from people not reveiws on a web site.

I like the ACID series combined with the sound recording/altering software called Soundforge (this is where you would do your vocals if your track had your voice then place them in the track that you compose in ACID. If you ahve both programs running you can drag and drop and do tests without saving (plus UNLIMITED undo!) so if your latest edit isn't what you hoped just hit undo or drop the track back in Soundforge and undo and try something else.

I haven't played with the programs in a while concentrating too much on sculpting but their sampler disks have good stuff. I'm not into the dance stuff but dark ambient/atmopheric and strange traditional instruments and nature sounds. You can open and alter any .WAV soundfiles culled from the web in Soundforge with numerous cool effects and save them for use in ACID (the composing software) so you can get tons of weird audio goodie bits online (google for free sound files or free wav samples).

The PC has changed so much for home studio recording. I used to have half a room full of stuff. Now just the sampler CDroms, my big midi synth and the PC!
smile.gif

Now I wanna get out the synth...!

Oh yeah, best to also get yourself a D-Man or other input card device (probly has a cooler name nowadays) for your PC so that you can hook up a non-MIDI vocal microphone, 80s' sampler synths, TV, guitar or regular studio mixer (if recording live drums of from a non-midi electronic drumkit). Anyway, the D-man has all the classic analog studio instrument cord Jacks and the sound is tranformed into data when you play through it so that Soundforge (or other recording program) can record and alter it. I think the D-Man ran me about $150 at Guitar Center years back.

I like Reason so far as sequencing, sampling and filtering goes. The composition tools in Reason are kind of lacking, though, so I like to use other utilities for actually writing my music. Definitely get yourself a card or an external input source, like swords says.
~Joe

man seedjar youre ontop of every thing I want to know!
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks all! Ill look into that!

I aims to please.
~Joe

Ive heard of fruity loops, how good is that compaired to the others. Its not a gay program is it?
biggrin.gif

Fruityloops was originally a gag program if I remember right, like a toy. People do manage to make decent loops with it, but you may find yourself wanting features that it doesn't have.
~Joe

And if you're on a budget, the open-source Audacity might work too.

~ Brett

Im on a budget but I can wait. Theirs program called Reason 3.0 by Propellerhead. It sounds like its a great program. but I want to know what you all think about it?

smile_l_32.gif

I guess I shouldnt use MIX I shoud use MAKE my own music.

Reason is about as good as it gets so far as sequencing goes. I have Reason 2.5 and I'm very happy with it. It's got tons of features and there are more expansions available freely online. If you don't know how it works, Reason is like a big synth emulator. It has a rack and you select all sorts of machines to put on it (like mixers, drum machines, delays, etc.) and then you wire them together however you like. It then plays your sequenced tracks according to your setup. Pretty much everything can be sequenced, from the audio coming from the synths and samplers to the line levels and other settings.
It's by far the most comprehensive sequencing suite I've ever played with. The only thing that you could say is missing is sound editing tools, but that's not really what this program is about anyways. (Actually, for all I know, they could be there; I still don't know how to work half of the features.) My only real complaint about Reason is that it borders on overwhelming. Also, while composing with Reason works well, in 2.5 there's no way to write music on a staff; instead it's a big spreadsheet-type thing that lists all the available octaves. I think it's probably a more practical way of presenting the information, but I learned to compose longhand so I like composition programs that make my stuff look like sheet music - I'm just anacronistic.
~Joe

Yea I would like sheet music too, cause If I make sax quartet (MAYBE) I can try and write some music for it. But Seeing as Im not very very strong at music composition (But I know my way around composing dont get me wrong!) I just am used to more classical and jazz music composition, I think this would be best as I dont plan on majoring in music or any thing (horticultureis my intrest now!l). But I would love to get some Techno, trance FX goin on, all jammed into it. So I think I might get it. Ive heard lots of good reviews on it. Get some crazy stuff goin as Ive allways been obsessed with Techno... But Now I can take iniciative on it and make my own! Thanks for the help!

smile.gif

Hows the Cakewalk Series, Ive heard some good things about that, too Ive heard some synths from it too, I was thinking Cakewalk Rapture, and Cakewalk DemensionPro

Back