What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant VFT in HD?

I found what I think is a Giant form in Home Depot. I was surprised - all I've ever found in garden centers were the typical VFTs with the smaller traps. These traps are over 1 inch in size, and some are deep red in the centers (green on the outside of the traps) and the red ones have red "hairs" whereas the green ones have green "hairs." The plant is low growing. Is this the giant form, Red Purple, or something else? Anyone else see these in your HD? Thanks.

a picture would help.

it's not unusual for a healthy dionaea to have big traps.

A typical VFT under different conditions can look a lot like all sorts of cultivars. Better to just assume it's a typical... you can't really ID it without knowing the origin anyway. I personally think half the cultivars out there were pulled out of someone's butt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ July 29 2006,7:49)]I personally think half the cultivars out there were pulled out of someone's butt.
Interesting... please elaborate on this cultivation method... :p
Stupidity aside, the others are correct. I have a large community pot of VFTs, half typical and half 'Big Mouth,' and at the peak of the growing season, I now can only tell them apart because I planted them in two separate clumps. I have a feeling that differences among the two groups will emerge as I see them throughout the entire year. If you watch yours for a while and look at the cultivar definitions (I think the ICPS lists VFT cultivars) you might be able to match it to one of those. But the point is that a healthy VFT can made some huge traps if you keep it happy.
Happy growing,
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ July 29 2006,10:49)]I personally think half the cultivars out there were pulled out of someone's butt.
lol ain't that the truth.

Back