What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GIANT squid caught on film, tonight at 8 pm EST

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
you cant miss this. i saw an advertisment for a program tonight on Discovery about some people who caught i live giant squid tentacle. no one has ever seen an adult (or an adult tentacle) alive before.

discovery.com

I believe we've seen the footage aired before; perhaps I only saw it on the internet. In any case, people should watch this.

They're squid. They're giant. They try to make squidlets with anything that moves.

What's not to LOVE?!

well thanks for bursting my bubble lmao
biggrin.gif

Hahaha, that may have come out more sarcastic than intended.
smile_n_32.gif

Giant squids really are fascinating creatures. Even pictures of DEAD and beached ones are fairly rare, and incomplete as the carcassed are gnereally pretty mangled. Giant squid live mysterious lives but are suspected of being the cause of scars on many a whale (non-baileen whales, of course.)

Much about their lives is speculation, and despite thorough attempts to investigate them, most inquiries have fallen flat. I believe that at some point, a researcher managed to get a squidling in captivity (it took a good number of tries to keep them alive!)

Maybe this program will be able to shed some light on one of the ocean's great mysteries. Thanks for the link, JLAP.

---Better?
laugh.gif

much....
laugh.gif

But for the record, during their mating season they will try to make squidlings with just about anything that moves (and some things that don't.) That wasn't made up just to tease. >_>

watching it now

So how was the program? I wonder if my Tivo recorded it on its own...

it was SO cool. they got great pictures of an adult attacking the bait.

Yeah I think I saw this before too. It was very interesting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]it was SO cool. they got great pictures of an adult attacking the bait.

But does it make for good calamari?

yeah, really. Can you imagine the calamari rings you could get from that!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Glad to see someone else is looking at this productively!
smile_n_32.gif

Seriously, you could make calamari hoolahoop out of a squid like that!

Back