What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting out of the Reef hobby

Well, Jeremy and I have decided to get out of the reef hobby.....we have been in it for years and have aquacultured corals for the reef hobby for about 6 years now. In that time we have met many friends in the reef world and have shipped our corals to most of the states in the US and to a couple places in Canada. We decided that we needed more time to spend as a family and with the birds. We have also recently downsized our flock from around 80 parrots down to 50 parrots (6 of them pets, the rest breeder pairs) to allow me more time to homeschool Ash and spend socializing the baby parrots.

So, as you can see, many huge changes have been taking place around here and that is one of the reasons I havent been around the forums much. Jeremy did shock me when he decided he wanted to keep my tank/stand/lighthood and turn it into a terrerium for CPs!!! Its a 180 gal acrylic tank so that should look real nice with CPs! I will have to post pics when it is finished, but that will be a while from now, lol.

Well, I have bored you all long enough :)

Victoria

God... 180 gallons... put 3 metal halides over it and WOW! I'm so jealous!

It's sad that you're moving on; but you have very valid reasons. Just glad you're sticking with the CP's!

xvart.

OOOOOOh what species do you breed? I breed several types of finches. Id be interested to know what species you breed.

Aw, sorry to hear you're getting out of things! But the birds will sure benefit, as will Ash and probably you too with some extra time on your hands. :) I can't even imagine the 180 with CPs in it, whoo. I'm gonna have to see that in person when it's finished!!

Finch, we breed Amazons, Eclectus, Conures, Greys and Mini Macaws. We had a bunch of finches and canaries in the beginning abut fell in love with the larger parrots :) Here is a full list of what our pairs consist of:

Double Yellow Headed Amazons
Blue Front Amazons
Yellow Nape Amazons
Orange Wing Amazons
Yellow Crowned Amazons (my favorites!)
Timneh African Greys
Severe Mini Macaws (This pair is a HUGE pain, Im sure they will take one of my fingers someday!)
Peach Front Conures
Green Cheek Conures (Also throw Cinnamon and Pineapple baby mutations)
X 6 pairs of Solomon Island Eclectus (we are doing our own research on the special dietary needs of Eclectus, they are not like other parrots and cannot survive on a regular parrot diet of seed and pellets so we are doing studies to see what their optimal diet is)
X 2 pairs Sun Conures
X 2 pairs Blue Crown Conures
X 2 pairs Gold Cap Conures
X 2 pairs Jenday Conures

So thats 23 breeding pairs plus 6 pets consisting of a DYH amazon, Lilac Crown Amazon, Sun Conure, Nanday Conure, Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure and a Peach front Conure. So I guess we have 52 parrots not 50 :)

We havent quite figured out what we are going to do for lighting on the 180......we have the VHO lighting from my reef but Im not sure how well that would work, I will have to research more......MH cost to much to run and heats the house to much so that isnt an option for us right now. Im assuming no matter what light we use on it it will still have to run for 12-14 hours a day depending on the season right?

Victoria

Didnt notice your post Julie! Hope all is well with you, havent head from you in a while :) Ya, I look forward to the free time, I actually forgot what free time was, lol. If you ever make it up this way let me know, you could see the terrarium and me in person :)

Victoria

Green Cheek Conures!!!! Thats my favorite parrot (that and the canary-wing parakeet) . I have always wanted one. If your still breeding these in, oh, 5-6 years... when i theoretically will own my own place... im gonna get one as soon as i have the equipment.

Your block just wont look the same without the glow of your guy's mini nuclear plant radiating.

How is Kenny gonna get his sun tan now?

VHO is a good choice, but it was still weaker than I'd like on a standard 75.

Have you looked into investing in TEK lights? Expensive, yeah, but well worth it IMO.

Back