What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geocaching

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I have been doing this for about 5 months. Does anybody else even know what thisis?

Yes. There are some geocaching groups around where I live. I've always kind of wanted to join one as it sounds like fun. Are you in a club and did you have to buy your own GPS?

-D. Lybrand

I don't think you really need a GPS, but it sure makes it easier. I've found some justbyusing the hints. If you don't have a GPS try using Google Earth. It'll get you really close. I'm also not in a club.

I always look for good cp spots when I'm looking for caches.

You could set up your own kind of geocaching system where people would search for natural CP populations! But that would probably invite too many poachers...

-D. Lybrand

There are virtual geocaches. These you take a pic of a landmark.

I have thought about putting a cache in the Green Swamp and other "Public" cp sites to educate about CP's. I have weighed the pros and cons but I haven't decided yet.

Uhm, well I don't know what you mean by geocaching? Could you explain for those of us ignorant of this phenomena? Pretty please?
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ Jan. 08 2006,1:54)]Uhm, well I don't know what you mean by geocaching? Could you explain for those of us ignorant of this phenomena? Pretty please?
smile_l_32.gif
Well I guess your answer is no.

To make it simple. People hide things, you find them and sign the log.

Oh, man my mom lives for geocaching. I don't think she is part of a club either but, she has gone to some picinics and other things where a bunch of cachers meat up. When she goes on vacation, her vacation is finding caches somewhere else. Over christmas I was staying at her house, and it was 11 at night, she got a email saying there was a new cahce couple miles from her house. We ended up going out there at 11:30 to try and be the first ones to find it, there is some guy that lives close to her that is always the first one to find all of them, he has like 90 first finds, Well on are way into this one we passed him on his way out.
I have gone a few times on my own and actually found my first cache without even knowing it was supposed to be there, was just out in the woods and stumble upon the cache.

I wanna play.
smile_h_32.gif

There are a lot of caches in the Pine Barrens. I found a few last time we where there.
I'll be looking for some more when I get there again. You can come along if you like.

No kiddin'! That would be awsome.
smile.gif

I have a question. I have been hankering for a GPS anyway...but I want to know...do the car navigators also double as a hand-held? Or are those two separate beasts? I'd really like a car navigator but it would be nice if you could use it also as a hand-held away from the car.

I think they are 2 different beasts. There might be some that crossover but not sure.
I have used mine for driving as I have the TOPO maps loaded in mine. It shows roads, schools, parks, etc. There is other software that is more up to date and more has detailed roads for driving.
The only problem would be that the hand held (I have a Garmin Legend) has a small screen to use when driving.
Also you can only load so many maps depending on the memory of the unit. Mine has 8 megs of memory and using the TOPO maps can fit all of the NJ maps in it to give you an idea.

I thought about looking for some in the Pine Barrens when I was there, but I didn't have time to get the info on them before I left. I figured I wouldn't have time to look for them anyway, which I didn't.

No you did not. You had a hard enough time keeping the tongs behaving.

That's why I had no time to look.

I havn't read any of the prior posts except the 1st start one... But, I think my guess is correct. Isn't it where a few dudes get together (maybe a girl comes too) one may carry some garbage picker uppper things sometimes called "tongs" and they see who can find (gather) the most chiggers??

Yes that's pretty much it.

Back