What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Questions/ Pitcher checkup

Hey guys! I havent posted here in about a year, since i got my pitcher plant in April last year actually because i couldnt get into my account.
I repotted My pitcher plant right before christmas, and it just started growing like absolute mad!! [No pitchers, yet but giant leaves]
It started getting very tall very fast and leaning over so i put a stick in the dirt to try to prop it up, but it keeps growing past the stick and pushing it over.
I keep posting updates to my facebook because I am unsure if i should repot it?? My aunty who knows plants very well [Not familiar with pitchers though]
says "You just repotted it, Its happy, Its growing, leave it alone"
Now its growing 2 smaller Pitcher plants underneath the first one?!?! Should i repot it?? How big should the pot be?? The little baby plants underneath
are growing little baby pitchers so i know they are thriving, I just dont want to repot too soon & shock them, so i figured i would ask the pros now that i got into my account XD
Will the smaller plants be okay under the big one?? Should i trim that yellowing leaf off the big one or wait until its closer to dead??
Sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure my pitchers are thriving!thumbnail_20200517_154107.jpgthumbnail_20200517_154059.jpgthumbnail_20200517_154114.jpgthumbnail_20200517_154125.jpgthumbnail_20200517_154139.jpgthumbnail_20200517_154159.jpg

Hey, your plant is looking well. For repotting, I generally repot whenever the plant dries out too quickly for me to easily keep up with it. Once your plant starts to completely dry out the pot in a day or two from watering I'd consider a repot. However, if that soil you used is meant for conventional plants I might repot now. Nepenthes can tolerate being potted in more nutrient rich soil sometimes but will not pitcher. You generally want an open, nutrient poor soil. Ingredients like spaghnum moss, perlite, and orchid bark are good ideas.

The basal shoots you posted pictures of look big enough to be separated. They will grow faster while they are still connected, but if you want more separate plants then they are good to be divided.

It's starting to dry out pretty quickly so I might just do that! I have a bigger pot ready to go for it, just been waiting because my aunt kept telling me its happy leave it alone XD
When i Repotted it I made up a mixture of sphagnum moss / peat moss / sand / perilite, Not sure of the exact measurement as I just kind of mixed them so it was nice and light & Airy,
when i repotted it it took to it right away and started growing like mad!

- - - Updated - - -

The basal shoots you posted pictures of look big enough to be separated. They will grow faster while they are still connected, but if you want more separate plants then they are good to be divided.

How would I go about separating them?? I was thinking about that because i figured they would probably grow better if they werent being covered by the big plant, But They are growing just fine anyways XD I just dont want them to be over crowded!!

Last edited:
Basal shoots are not like plantlets or runners, they cannot just be simply separated or divided from the main plant. If you remove them, they are effectively cuttings and will need to be treated as such. They are the same plant, just another shoot off of it, growing off the same stem and root ball.

Basal shoots are not like plantlets or runners, they cannot just be simply separated or divided from the main plant. If you remove them, they are effectively cuttings and will need to be treated as such. They are the same plant, just another shoot off of it, growing off the same stem and root ball.
I don't really give them as much care as I would cuttings. I just cut them off as low as I can under the soil and stick them in a pot, I don't even bag them to give them higher humidity. I would prefer to use rooting hormones to help the plant develop roots faster but I do not have any rooting hormones.

Oh they are the same plant??? That's cool!! I will probably leave them alone then, I have another seperate pitcher plant, hes still pretty small though.
Im still a complete noob at these guys, but they never cease to amaze me!
I have the basics down :Indirect sunlight : Distilled or rain water : Light airy nutrient poor soil, but im still learning

Last edited:
Yes, they are the same plant. Basals do not have their own root system, and often take over the one the parent vine was using, only rarely developing their own set of roots at their own base. Because they develop closer to the soil base they may be more apt to develop roots on their own, but if removed from the main vine they are cuttings.
Also most Nepenthes can take a lot of sun once acclimated.

Back