What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit Tree

Hi all
This question is from my dad. We have a berry tree in our frontyard and it keeps dropping these unedible berries. I would like to know a chemical that stops it from growing the fruit. I dont wanna kill it but just stunt the fruit growth forever. Thanks!

Is it a chinna berry tree? Those look cool, smell AWESOME when in bloom, and drop little berries that I HATE lol... good luck on your hunt, I don't think there is anything though that can help. Maybe hire some cheep labor to pluck all the fruit before it falls? lol

Well, since I have fruit trees that don't ever make fruit, probably due to me never spraying it with anything, then perhaps if you let it get infected with aphids or something of the sort and don't treat it. Seriously, I have fig and peach trees and they never produce. I have never treated for anything to try to get them to produce, so I don't know exactly what has caused it.

maby you can just chop it down? we had a crabapple in our front yard and it made lovley flowers but the berries were a pain in the butt they got all over the place! and birds came from all over to eat them and with them came poo...lots of it. luckly we moved =]
alex

Glider, what's fun is when you get a hard frost. The apples tend to become a bit pottent as the sugars ferment. It's pretty entertaining watching the birds and deer stager around after gorging themselves. If your lucky they'll stagger over to the neighbors yard before the crab apple trots hit them.
smile_m_32.gif

i'm not sure we had a peach tree which was awful we ended up cutting it down but if you decide to do that rock salt helps with killing the remaining stump and such. so i guess what i'm trying to say is i have no clue but oh well.
smile_m_32.gif

You can't stop fruit growth forever, but Florel and Fruit Stop contain plant growth regulators that can prevent fruit formation. I've seen at least one of them in nurseries around here. You'll need to know what your tree is to make sure you use a product that can work. By the way, they probably need to be sprayed at bloom, so you won't be able to try them until next year. I'd rather have the berries than the spray.

OK thanks all. But the berries are such a pain! Ill look into wat the tree is and if there is a product to stop it for at least one season. Thanks!

Back