What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friendly insects or what.........?

Since the beginning I have noticed these smallish insects (termite looking only much smaller) cruising around the medium in all of the plants. They aren't thripes and don't seem interested in the plants, if I touch them with my tweezers they jump. I saw what appears to be very tiny versions around the seedlings and the older pitchers have something darkening the insides. I would take pictures but my camera can't capture these guys and maybe they are feeding the seedlings by getting stuck in the pitchers? I might have to finally get a microscope that I can mount then camera on to get pictures. Like I said, none of these insects appear to be feeding on the plants and I don't have anything crawling up on any of the larger plants. I had a small thripe infestation several months ago and wiped that out and as a result check the undersides of leaves regularly and they are clean.

They're probably springtails. I can't imagine any way they could harm your plants. They're little fungus janitors.

yup! Springtails are awesome. I used to have cute little globular springtails in my old setup......they all died when I nuked it to get rid of spider mites/scale. They are good for sundews and VFT seedlings.

Thanks, I'll get to know them better now. I lost all of my fungus gnat maggots last November when I eradicated the thripes. This Fall I will set a container of rotting fruit outside long enough to get another colony going and move it into the plant room for winter. A nice aromatic smell and excellent food supplier for the plants, just drop the occasional banana peel or pear rind in and watch them produce.

Back