What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freezed-Dried CP Food

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
The freezed-dried bloodworms are a bit pricey. I'm thinking seriously of collecting the earthworms that appear when it rains and turning them into CP food. Whaddya think? Anyone try it?

Not sure worm "mash" is the way to go... Give it a try and report back? I wait for the box elder infestation to happen collect them in Tupperware as they make love... and throw them in the freezer... The occasional box elder will unfreeze a month later and still adds the stimulation needed for the VFT's

I recently collected some worms and grubs and put them in the freezer.
As my nepenthes are pitchering, I am feeding them.
The plant seem to be fine, I think they enjoy worms.

Get a bug zapper and make your own powered insects like Joseph does.

Wingless/flightless fruitflies are cheap too. I make the media with mashed potato flakes, sugar, baker's yeast. A pinch of brewer's yeast and a dash of vinegar boosts the nutrition. I can find the mashed potato mix, vinegar and sugar at the dollar store. A little bit goes a long way. You just need some jars.

Sprinkle the flies into another container, freeze 'em and sprinkle, funnel or tweezer feed your plants. I guess you can dry them out and powder 'em if you want.

I tried the freezedried thing with sundews, doesn't work too well. It grows fungus very quickly. FD mysis shrimp seems to work well for pitcher plants. I can only guess that krill would be better. If you want smaller foods, daphnia is a good option.

You could always try freezing mosquito larvae.

I have gotten freeze dried blood worms for very cheap $2.00 a bottle. Not very big but i still have it and i have had it for over a year. I don't use them anymore now because i have all of my tropicals outside. So fungus knats are there Breakfest, Lunch, Dinner, and desert.

I'll give it a try, since the worms are very inexpensive and plentiful. I'll yet y'all know how it goes.

Back