What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found this new wild site, in Southern California

While exploring a new canyon on the Palos Verdes Peninsula I was astonished to see this site: Butterworts and sphagnum moss growing on a seeping rock face! However, the butterworts were not the species native to California found further north. They look more like some species of Mexican Pinguicula.

Attachments

• Martingale Trail moss #4.jpg
    Martingale Trail moss #4.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 108
The photo opens up really small so it's hard to make out a whole lot of detail, but if there are supposed to be butterworts in the image I'm not identifying anything that looks like one.

very very interessant , without flower difficult to determinate .

if you have the opportunity to review this site by making more photos and especially photos of flowers it would be top

another question, the leaves have mucilage?

jeff

Last edited:
Good eyes guys, they are not actually butterworts. Nor is that sphagnum moss. I’ve been fooled a few times here, at first glance. No dew and no captured bugs. The plant is Dudleya lanceolata. Thanks for your replies.

Back