What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fly trap with traps on flower stalk.

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
Last summer I found a vft with a flower stalk that had traps instead of flowers growing on the stalk. I'm afraid it didn't make through dormancy. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon? Later that summer it produced normal flowers.

Last edited:
This is normal (called a false viviapary). Other carnivorous plants also produce false viviaparies, such as sundews and Heliamphora. You're lucky you got to observe one in person!

I never new that had a name. Is their a genetic factor in it or is it just completely random? The funny thing is that I found that plant in a Pet store.

Last edited:
I don't think the cause is really known but it seems some environmental causes, stress, etc. can cause it. You can root the plants if you cut the stalk just below them.

Typically it's environmental conditions, other times just a fluke in development (flowers are after all modified leaves). Flytraps have commonly been reported with it, D. intermedia does it regularly enough, I've even had burmannii do it. Never seen Heliamphora do such a thing though, but they often have fully developed or proto-pitchers as the bracts on the inflorescence.

Typically it's environmental conditions, other times just a fluke in development (flowers are after all modified leaves). Flytraps have commonly been reported with it, D. intermedia does it regularly enough, I've even had burmannii do it. Never seen Heliamphora do such a thing though, but they often have fully developed or proto-pitchers as the bracts on the inflorescence.

I believe I confused proto-pitchers with false viviaparies.

Back