What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluorescent Pitcher Plants video

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Thanks to Siggi Hartmeyer for posting this on the ICPS forums (video in German with English subtitles)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h_RvhMQHRTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A detailled article on the phenomenon has been published in "Das Taublatt" (G.F.P., Germany). For those who understand the language: Article on fluorescent pitcher plants

Ich spreche noch ein bisschen, aber waren diese Artikel auf Englisch, noch koennte sie nicht verstehen!

Fascinating!

Ooh... I've got some 360 nm and 375 nm LEDs here, I wonder how close it has to be to 366 nm to work. Or maybe the spectral curve of my LEDs is wide enough to cover 366 nm.

It's light outside but let's see what happens when it gets dark tonight.

Edit: No dice. There was some visible light from the LED (says something about the spectral curve...) but no fluorescence noted.

Last edited:
For me, annoying banner ads, block the English subtitles --- :censor:.

Beautiful plants.

One set of grandparents spoke fluent German, the other set of grandparents spoke fluent Czech (formerly known as Bohemian). Neither would teach me their native tongue, something about the stigma of it. ??? I did try.

Last edited:
For me, annoying banner ads, block the English subtitles --- :censor:.

Beautiful plants.

Try clicking the Watch on Youtube option and then in Fullscreen. If you have the bandwidth change to HD (720p or 1040p) setting.

That's pretty cool. I just tried it on my bicalcarata in the bathroom but couldn't really see anything. I used a little UV flashlight that came with a dog urine clean up kit so maybe it was the wrong wavelength? I did however discover that it's time to clean my bathroom lol.

Back