What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering Nep Help!

• Thread starter mreaves311
  • Start date
Hello,
I ordered this plant last year.. it was a large plant..was told it was a miranda.. it didnt do so well in shipping... then in texas we had a historic freeze so i had to take it inside... didnt seem to like that either... but finally now it is producing pitchers..then i noticed this 2 days ago! so a couple questions... how can i tell if this plant is male or female? is it going to survive? what should i do with it? if there is pollen, who wants the pollen? to be honest, i have no blue how it works with nepenthes! any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210826_193646.jpg
    20210826_193646.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210826_193651.jpg
    20210826_193651.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210826_193704.jpg
    20210826_193704.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210826_193659.jpg
    20210826_193659.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 6
It's a male (rounded flower buds as opposed to more ovular), and almost useless when it comes to the pollen as the plant has really poor fertility. I have made crosses with it, but compared to using something like the original x mixta it came from one surviving seedling compared to hundreds isn't worth the effort.

It's a male (rounded flower buds as opposed to more ovular), and almost useless when it comes to the pollen as the plant has really poor fertility. I have made crosses with it, but compared to using something like the original x mixta it came from one surviving seedling compared to hundreds isn't worth the effort.
thank you for the reply! is it harmful? should i cut it off? i dont want him to die... and also, any ideas for a good name? like raul or steve? those are the two i was stuck between.

thank you for the reply! is it harmful? should i cut it off? i dont want him to die... and also, any ideas for a good name? like raul or steve? those are the two i was stuck between.
Hi there. So long as you feed the plant well with max sea and superthrive, the flower stalk shouldn't be harmful at all as you will keep the plant well fed and full of energy to survive. Although, if you don't plan on saving the pollen, I would just chop the stalk off to keep the plant on producing regular growth faster.
I was thinking Roger would make a great name for the plant as it eats Bee's,LOL
roger flower.jpg

Hi there. So long as you feed the plant well with max sea and superthrive, the flower stalk shouldn't be harmful at all as you will keep the plant well fed and full of energy to survive. Although, if you don't plan on saving the pollen, I would just chop the stalk off to keep the plant on producing regular growth faster.
I was thinking Roger would make a great name for the plant as it eats Bee's,LOL
View attachment 8462
little roger it is! and thank you for the reply, im going to chop it off i think... its had a hard year!

A male flower takes very little energy, and SuperThrive does next to nothing for most plants (lots of hype, little substance to it from everything I've both tried and read about it, save maybe giving a slight boost to cuttings now and again). While no point keeping the stalk around as it's not going to provide a whole lot of use (you can try trading pollen, as occasionally a good seed or two will result) it won't do much if you want to see it bloom. It will, however, smell really funky when they start opening.

Back