What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering B52

Cindy

Staff member
A dear friend sent two plants and I have allowed both to flower.

One of the flower stalk has produced an offshoot. Should I remove it and try it as a cutting? And how should I cut it? TIA!

B52_flower_stalk.jpg

B52_flower_stalk_offshoot.jpg

Yeah, a bit of false vivipary, Cindy; just cut it or pinch it off, along with a flower stalk and plant it upright or sideways in your favorite media . . .

B52VOL.jpg

That is so odd! You should try it as a cutting OR maybe just leave it there and see if it grows into a full trap. That would be awesome.

If it was me, I'd let it grow, and just nip the flower off past the trap (unless you wanted it to flower).

Hi Cindy,
I have a VFT in a terrarium that's been with me for 2 years and I let it go to flower. mine has also produced traps on the flower stalk, IIRC it has about 20 traps on the stalk that appear to be, and are becoming, fully functional traps, albeit not as large as the rest of the plant.
I will cut one or two off and try it as a cutting and let you know what happened.

If it was me, I'd let it grow, and just nip the flower off past the trap (unless you wanted it to flower).
^^^This is what I did and the stalk continues to produce an abundance of traps.
is it normal for these guys to do this?
I'll post picks in a new thread later today as to not hijack your thread :nono:

Peace Pat

woohoo, nice job Cindy....

So you the Singaporian B52 guru now ey :p

Supposedly, one of the factors that Henning Von Schmeling used in the original selection of the B52 was it's robust growth characteristics.

some older pics of mine:
B52A0909.jpg

B52B0909.jpg

B52_flowers.jpg

As you can see, they love to spread out as well
IMG_1984.JPG

Not sure, but this is probably a year or two later after the previous pic

And as you see, their color can vary quite a bit from year to year

Last year, this container was so full it had to be thinned out.

My favorite VFT

Butch

Last edited:
Butch, how deep is the pot you are using for the B52s in the pics above?

I've repotted my plants recently into a slightly larger and deeper pot and they are dividing even faster!

ummmmm 12-18" i guess

I need the depth for moisture buffering during the hot and dry summer months

Unfortunately, not a single flower was pollinated successfully. We had about 2 weeks of very wet and gloomy weather and I couldn't get much (if any) pollen off the anthers.

However, the plantlet formed on the flower stalk is growing very well. Here are a few pics before eventually I cut it off to let it grow in a pot.

12 April 2012
B52_flower_stalk_offshoot_teeth.jpg

19 April 2012
B52_flower_stalk_offshoot_trap_open.jpg

that is awesome..

Finally decided to remove the flower stalk and plantlet :eek:
vft_false_vivipary.jpg

vft_false_vivipary1.jpg

vft_false_vivipary2.jpg

vft_false_vivipary3.jpg

vft_false_vivipary4.jpg

vft_false_vivipary5.jpg

thats soo cool!! im jelly :)

Wow thats crazy! Good luck with rooting it!

haha sorry. jelly is short for jealous in the dumb valley girl vernacular. im from LA. dumb girls are everywhere.

Does plantlets growing on the flowerstalk occur often?

You mean remove the plantlet from the flower stalk. :p

No, I really meant remove the flower stalk and plantlet. 'Cos the seeds didn't form. LOL

Back