What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time doing an indoor setup

Hey all! As the title says I'm an outdoor grower but am trying something new. Mostly to start some sarr seeds over the winter but also trying my hand at Pygmy/subtropical sundews Mexican pings and potentially if successful a heliamphora. I grabbed one of these all in one lighting fixtures at the hydro shop the other day for really cheap and wanted some opinions and or tips on distance from fixture and photo period. Thanks in advance!!

You'll want some reflectors for that light to focus the light, unless it comes with some. I know they make clip-on relfectors for those single-bulb fixtures. A single bulb is also going to need to be mounted extremely close to the pots to provide enough light to the plants. I would opt for a 2-bulb myself or even just stick with a regular lamp with a CFL if you just have a couple plants.

Honestly, Dont even waste your money with single bulbs
or even double bulbs. (I Suppose doubles are ok. However I use double t5ho lamps on my indoor racks.
They can just barely sustain the plants through winter and the colder parts of spring, but theyre weak and usually dont grow.)

I would just bite the bullet and buy one of the 4 tube t5h0 lamps.
You spend a little more money but its worth it because theyre pre-loaded
with reflectors. My dews and nepenthes grow steadily under them,
and sarrs will soak up as much light as you give them.

My lights have been in some conditions that were.. not recommended by the factory, and warranty, Yet 4 years down the line they run like champs.
no corrosion yet or shorting in 90% humidity overall.

Last edited:
My plants grow just fine under a 2 bulb fixture. It does need to be kept pretty close to the pots so it's not suitable for tall plants and flower stalks often get burned, but it does the job well. The combination of bulb fade and shorter photoperiod for winter does cause my plants to lose quite a bit of color though and I'm planning to switch entirely to LEDs in the near future.

Hmmm ok.... the four bulbers are a bit much for what I'm looking for. Maybe in the future as I'm not trying to grow anything tall like neps or larger sarrs at this point. This fixture does have a reflector addition and a chaining option to add up to eight lights.

I'm thinking ok just investing in a two bulber for now.

Where I live, most of the 2 bulb fixtures are 50$, and the 4s are 100$ (also a bit longer).
may differ from place to place.
I just decided to invest.

I ended up getting a four foot four tube fixture..... my husband is going to kill me but I'm still giddy ��

Well that should certainly give you some grow space. Time to fill it up!

Right!! Now I just have to figure out where to put it...

Walmart sells a nice 4foot by 18 inch shelf for like 45 bucks works grear for me the have different heights and colors personaly i have a 5foot tall four shelf model. Light lay on the top shelf cp's on the next one down then 2 10gal tanks for my future cp terruiams third shelf has my led setup for my cephs and the bottom is for water and supplies work great the shelves are adjustable in one inch increments and made od heavy duty wire so light shines through easy enough i dont have t5 ho i use t8 6500k four buld fixtures 4 inches above my plants they turn nice and pink just my two cents worth and hope i helped some

Sent from my LGL61AL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Alright here we go! Just back from the Portland meet up with some free bees!! First plants in the shelf. Seems like the nep is really close to the lights while the Pygmy dews are really far. What do y'all think?

Looks ok to me but the dews need to be closer to the light something like 6 inches away if i remember correctly cant help with the nerp never messed with them

Sent from my LGL61AL using Tapatalk

Back