What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Byblis Seedlings

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I sowed some seed from ICPS and after about a month I now have around 15 Byblis liniflora seedlings with a few more to come I'm sure.
I've never grown Byblis before so am looking for some pretty basic advice, although I've done plenty of reading already.
A few questions:
1) Some of them sprouted within a centimeter of each other in the pots. I've heard Byblis have fragile roots. Should I try transplanting any of them?
2) I have them under 24h lights in a humidity dome, should I wait a bit before trying to acclimate them? The dome is like 8 in tall, so they have time.
3) How should I go about feeding the young ones?

Thanks,
Kyle

1) I wouldn't try transplanting any of them, I've grown them extremely crowded with no problems at all.
2) As far as acclimating them that's all up to you. I'm a believer in hardening off plants at a pretty early age so that I don't have to pay as much attention to them, such as keeping an eye out for fungus issues et cetera. I just wound up growing mine on the same tray as my tropical sundews
3) As to feeding I like to buy freeze dried blood worms and grind them into powder using either a mortar and pestle, or a small food processor I keep in the plant room for milling sphagnum and other things. Just take some of the worm powder and lightly sprinkle over the dewy plants. Don't breath the dust, though, some people are highly allergic. If they are grown in an enclosed environment you need to be very careful not to overfeed or else you risk mold.

20140819_141028.jpg

Leave them the way the are. The more light the better. I pulverize freezed dried bloodworms and sprinkle the leaves, early and often. In about 6 weeks they will be flowering and you can spread seeds out more effectively.

I started them in 1.5" pots, should I move the whole media plug into a bigger pot?

In short: yes. Most Byblis species like large pots, and while B. liniflora can grow far more crowded than other species it will take the room if it can get it. This species also is not currently known to produce any digestive enzymes, so feeding it with bloodworms may cause more mold than nutrient uptake, but they respond well to dilute fertilizers on the leaves, of the proper kind at least.

Back