What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire-belly toads

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
Is it true that if you put fire-belly toads in with other frogs such as tree frogs that they could kill them? How about with newts? Also will they end up eating fish like neons? Does anyone have experience with these and other animals together?

FBT makes great pets, but i dunno how their toxin would affect other amphibians or if they would eat tetras.

A tetra is smaller than a cricket, so they might eat them. Keep them well fed to lower the chance of them going after the tetras.

If your going to put them in a 10 gallon, I think that a paludarium that size is too small for fish and frogs. If i were you i'd pick fish or frogs, not both.

If I do the paludarium it will be in a 29. Centralpets.com has it on there that they are poisonous.

If you eat them...

Like Cuban treefrogs, make sure you wash you hands after touching them.

Cheers,

Joe

I'm not talking about being poisonous to me. Other animals is what I'm worried about.

Google it.

I wouldn't reccomend them with other treefrogs due to toxicity problems(I've heard it can be an issue with some species, not sure about these though).

I doubt they'd eat neons...but white cloud mountain minnows would be a better choice as they do well at cooler temps.

I took Clint's advise and found this rather quick, so here ya go...

Joe

"Fire-bellied toads make attractive, undemanding, lively, long-lived pets – but they are a species that should be kept only with other fire-bellies."

http://www.petplace.com/reptile....e1.aspx

Lol, I would have done it myself but didn't have the time.

99% of everything you can find on google and it takes people longer to type a question and wait for replies than it does to do a search, so it kind of annoys me on simple things like this.

I know of a zoo exhibit overseen by someone who I consider a respectable person in herpetology that has some fire belly toads, newts(Cynops cyanurus), and some killifish in the same enclosure fine for years and all species have bred. So while it can be done(with lots of research and caution), I don't reccomend trying this while you are still getting to know how to care for even one species.

It might work if you run AC (and change it every 2 weeks, it doesn't last long) and purigen (this stuff is FANTASTIC for removing those pecky disolved organic solids) can be regenerated so you only need to buy it once.

Back