What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji water

Hey guys.
I wasn't sure if this post would be appropriate in this forum or in the nep forum. I figure it is applicable to all plants, and plus, more people will read it here.
smile.gif

Would it be safe to water my N. ventricosa with Fiji Water?
ther mineral content is as follows:

in mg/liter:

Calcium 17
Magnesium 13
Silica 85
pH 7.5
Bicarbonates 140
Flouride Ion 0.24

Total Dissolved Solids: 210

This stuff is great. I'm not a water drinker; it generally makes me gag (U know, I'd love to be healthy, but I can stand drinking water...). Fiji Water is delicious. If I get to have it, then I was hoping I'd get to share with my plants too.
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks guys!
Greg

Neps, IIRC, are more tolerant to hard water than other CPs, but i still would prefer to use the softest water possible, to avoid mineral build-up.

TDS under 30 ppm is ideal.

TDS of 210 ppm is very high. Perhaps if you thoroughly flushed the soil every time you water, but even then, it seems high to me.

Just because you like the water, doesn't mean your plants will like it, too.

Yeah...that definitely sounds high to me. I've heard 100PPM and under but preferably much lower than that.

Where does one get Fiji water??

But it says total dissolved solids, not salts... Is that different?

I don't know where you can buy Fiji Water. If you go to www.fijiwater.com you can order it. You'd have to check your local retailers. It's Imported and it's kinda snobby water... I haven't seen in in any general store... *shrug*

my plants only drink pellegrino
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 20 2005,9:32)]my plants only drink pellegrino
laugh.gif
thats hot

Thats y i want to feed my vent Fiji.   heehee

Total Dissolved Minerals is 210, right, so doesn't the 85 mg/liter account for part of that? Silica is neutral, isn't it? The water itself is a bit on the alkaline side... i donno

It's not just salts that are harmful to CPs. Any dissolved minerals are bad - that's what the TDS indicates. Fiji water is spring water that's treated for taste, if I remember right (the last place I worked at sold Fiji water.) I don't think it's actually purified in any reliable way - they just add a tiny bit of salt to improve the taste. The CP FAQ has a few pages on water to explain.  Neps are kind of forgiving about water (I understand they can take up to 100 ppm TDS if necessary) but don't test your luck. You should go with RO or distilled water. It's readily available at stores; you can buy RO water from dispensers at many stores, for less than 50 cents a gallon. You just bring your own jugs and fill it from a tap - at my local grocery store it's $0.39 a gallon. Finding the proper water is a lot easier and less disparaging than replacing your plants every few months.
~Joe

PS - PAK, Fiji is sold mostly by specialty grocery stores. Organic/natural chains like Wild Oats, New Seasons, Whole Foods and Sun Harvest are a good place to look.

A gallon jug of distilled water is probably available, cheaper, and will do the job for ya.

Oh. I'll have to look for it but plain ol' water is fine by me.
smile.gif
I'm really an iced tea drinker anway....you know, bein' Suuuuuuuuthern an' awl.
smile_l_32.gif

(But NO sugar!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Sep. 21 2005,11:56)]Oh.  I'll have to look for it but plain ol' water is fine by me.  
smile.gif
 I'm really an iced tea drinker anway....you know, bein' Suuuuuuuuthern an' awl.  
smile_l_32.gif

(But NO sugar!)
LOL! When I did envrionmental sampling work in the South, I was struck by the waitresses offering iced tea, "sweetened or unsweetened". To me, I thought iced tea was like Nestea and always had lemon and sugar - no need to doctor it up.

My plants get tap... New York City water is ultra high grade. Dunno about ppm but my plants are doing fine.

Back