What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fieldtrips & Events

• Thread starter raycer491
  • Start date
Hey all!

I've had this idea for a long while now, and it'd be pretty rad if we could organize something around this here on TF. Even establishing a thread about field trips and events here could prepare us for talking about similar ideas people will have in the future.

I was thinking that sometime this summer a few of us who are interested could do a roadtrip or something like that down to Southern Oregon or elsewhere and check out some cobra lilies, pings, sundews, utrics, etc. Such a trip could be a great way to survey the sites and possibly set us up for a sort of yearly survey. We could totally make it a tradition to schlep down to the Siskiyous or elsewhere, it'd be a fun way to spend a weekend in August, September, or July poking around Darlingtonia thickets. It'd certainly change our view about Oregon.

If we do decide to do this, it might be wise to keep the location of sites we visit off the fora so we can ensure that they won't be poached. General references, like "the one by Florence" should be alright. But maybe no GPS, trail routes, etc.

I was thinking we could do something like this later in the summer, so we could plot this in advance. If someone wants to, that is.

Anyway, think about it and lets see who's game :)

We talked about doing a Darlingtonia trip last year. I would love it if we could actually get something planned this year, though I don't know if just a weekend will be enough time.

I'm in!

A group of people from our Portland group did do a trip down to check out some Darlingtonia sites some years back. I was not able to go on that field trip at that time and would love to go down there as a group sometime this summer. I know of one area in Josephine County that could be done decently on a three-day trip and there are camping sites in the area, but to explore sites further south would take more days.

I would be interested in coming along as well.

I'd really like to go on something like this. I've already been planning to go to the Darlingtonia Wayside sometime this summer.

Does anyone know good sites in the Mt Hood area to find D. Rotundifolia? I was there over the weekend and tried (unsuccesfully) to find sundews...

I know of one location where a number of CP species are supposed to grow, but I've never been myself. I think it would be worthwhile to check it out sometime.

Back