What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding your plant-list your pets food here!

Hey, I was wondering if any bugs can be harmful to your VFT. I fed it a lovebug earlier and it ate it right up. Can any bugs actually hurt the plant? Stink Bug, etc.

Hello,
Yes, some bugs can destroy a trap, like some ants, or bees, ect. can chew their way through the trap. Small flies are usually the best to feed your plant, but remember, don't overfeed the plant.
Kevin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> like some ants, or bees, ect. can chew their way through the trap.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I also heard that Ants Bees & Wasps should be avoided because of the Formic Acid they carry. I found this info out and hope someone finds it interesting.

Ants belong to an order of insects called Hymenoptera, a group that also includes bees, wasps, and sawflies.Formic acid occurs in the bodies of ants and in the stingers of bees

In all ants, the altrunk contains a special structure called metapleural gland which secretes an antiseptic chemical that destroys bacteria, such as streptococci, staphylococci and also pathogenic fungi.Some species have a powerful sting at the tip of the abdomen. In addition to the poisonous fluid that ants are able to spray at a distance of up to 10 cm (containing formic acid, alkaloids etc.). Ants use their mandible for biting. Some species possess a very strong mandible – a deadly weapon against many enemies.

Nasty beasts. I also read that maggots should be avoided unless lanced first, as they can wriggle out (Disgusting I know, but one day after fishing, it seemed like a good idea. I checked the web, and found that lovely fact)

My traps also catch quite a few spiders, midges, mosquito's and flies without indigestion.

Oh yeah, feeding them slugs is a bad idea too
biggrin.gif

Jacko

Also, what is a love bug and stink bug ? I'm in the UK and haven't heard those names before. Could a love bug be what I know as a lady bird ? A small, round, red beetle, with black spots (or sometimes yellow with black spots) ? It can fly . . .

Eh...Stink Bug...is bad..It's hard shelled. plantakiss was real kind and told me lovebugs were good for it. They are this nasty experiment in Florida that went wrong..or that's what I heard...They were supposed to eat mosquitoes..but all they do is make.. "love" and are food for my plant..There are thousans of them here...during August.

Do not feed your plant worms believe me I tried it and it just made a stinky, smelly, dirty, scumy, mess!

Uhh...lovebugs are not worms. They look like a fly and misquito put together and painted black. I pick up a few and yank there wings off and let them crawl around on the plant. No mess at all
biggrin.gif

Well..I got some information about these annoying critters...my plants love them..the inside of my Green Dragon's traps are the prettiest I've seen in a while. Go here if you wanna learn about the "love bug" Go here!

Back