What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

feeding random food items

• Thread starter Gawd_oOo
  • Start date
Anyone tried feeding random things to their fish?

I gave mine a chunk of apple, they really seemed to like it, they all kept pecking at it. Taking turns breaking off bite sized pieces.

How about pear? They didn't seem to like it very much, and I forgot about it, and it ended up clouding the water.

I used to wad up white bread and feed it to the fish. The Bullhead catfish seemed to enjoy them.

Oh man, did I find something that made my fish smiile, probably a little on the risky side, but my lake is real clean.

A friend and I caught and cut up a few perch over the weekend, well one of them was a female full of eggs. I dropped a clump of the eggs into the tank and they went crazy over it. I gave them enough that all got some but none got too much. I don't think any made it down to the bottom for the cats tho.

Fish eggs are great food for other fish. I read an article on how someone bowfishes for carp and freezes the eggs he gets for his fish.

yup, eggs are great stuff!

IN the marine side of it some people feed bits of orange to their fish for the vitamins and minerals. I have never done this and can not comment on the safety of it.

mainly I believe in feeding only things that are of proper origin to your fish.

i.e. feed only lionfish saltwater feeders (goldfish have the wrong fats and can not digest properly) so I would only feed my fresh water fish something they could get from their natural environment.. which, could include fruit falling into the water from a tree I suppose.

Back