What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Beer?

• Thread starter Nickz123
  • Start date
I'm underage and dont plant on drinking when older heck if I started I bet I would have tons of DUI's

if I started I bet I would have tons of DUI's
I take cabs everywhere. Even if cabs cost $30 (most don't), the average DUI costs $3k, so you'd have to take 100 cab rides to equate to what a DUI would cost. If you go out only once a week, thats almost 2 years of going out until taking cabs becomes more expensive.

I turned 21 over the summer and have been trying a different beer about every time I go to the store. My favorite so far is Red Stripe, but it is too expensive. Right now I am stuck on buying Steel Reserve, its strong and has 8.1% alcohol, and cheap. Whats everyones favorite beer? Give me some recommendations.
-Nick

BTW Nick if your looking for a good cheap drink, try brewing apfelwien......find yourself a food grade plastic bucket, drill a hole in the lid, get a airlock, rubber stopper and yeast from a home brewery shop(prolly $5 worth of equipment if you can get a bucket for free from a resturaunt but be careful about what was stored in it before......if it was pickles, find another bucket......unless you REALLY like a drink that tastes like pickles) get yourself 2 pounds of sugar and 5 gallons of apple juice that has no preservatives(though asorbic acid is fine) sterilize everything with some bleach water and rinse well.....mix all together place in bucket put lid(after you have placed rubber stopper in the hole drilled in the lid) on bucket, place airlock in hole in the lid, place some cheap liquor in the airlock, vodka works as good as anything to keep any wild least or bacteria from getting in, wait 5 weeks, if you dont carbonate you can bottle it back in the jugs the apple juice came in that you have cleaned out......chill in the fridge and drink.............should finish out at about 9%.....taste much better than steel reserve

Anything cheap, or "No Name Pub Amber".

I'm going to have to try brewing my own sometime, sounds like fun.

On vodka,
IMO, vodka is sicknasty unless you get potato vodka...but that's just my Prussian blood talking ;D. My favs are Wodka Wyborowa (can't get it in the US AFAIK), and Monopolowa, which is about $15 for a 750ml bottle. You can drink the stuff straight and its delicious.
Agree on the tequila. Living in the Southwest, I unfortunately get my share. I hate the stuff generally. Only had Patron once and it was alright, but I'd rather stick to a diff liquor.

I've got some 1.5 or so old oatmeal stout I brewed which I will probably taste again in the next day or so. When I first brewed it, it wasn't that good (to me). 8 months later it was pretty tasty, so I'm eager to see what it's like now.

So far I've made (oldest to newest); oatmeal stout 5%, heller bock 7.2%, american wheat 4%, raspberry porter 5 or 6% (can't remember)

I usually chug about half a gallon of water and eat something yeasty or fatty before sleeping during a night of drinking. That combined w/ the blood of Prussian kings running through my veins has resulted in 3 hangover free years. If you really don't want a hangover, get drunk on sake. It's one of, if not the purest alcohol you can buy.

I brewed an oatmeal stout that did the same - it started out OK and then evolved into the 2nd best beer I ever made. As it was approaching 1 yr it was great and the one bottle that I saved for several more months was unbelievable. I wish I would saved more.

Anyone interested in beers who hasn't yet should learn the Belgian styles. Ommegang's different varieties, if you can find them, are a great introduction because they're excellent (brewed in the US by a Belgian brewer) and fairly economical. Ommegang's Abbey sells for $5-$6 in a corked bottle but, because of the size and alcohol content, carries the punch of ~4 beers. Do the math, set an evening aside at home, and try one.

Only had Patron once and it was alright, but I'd rather stick to a diff liquor.

lol Patron is good tequila, especially if your used to Jose' its a hell of a step up. there are tequila's that defiantly are much better, had one that compared to the best of any other liquor, ment to be drank on the rocks, straight and sipped......excellent stuff but it was $90 a bottle.......above about $50-$60 a bottle i tend to loose interest hence the reason i tend to drink Patrón Añejo when having tequila.....its about the best tequila i have found in that price range........course its pretty rare for me to drink myself stupid anymore.....usually have a drink or two and call it a night.

thanks for the info on the oatmeal stout...............havent tried brewing beer yet....just wines/ciders. might have to use that for my first beer

I'm going to have to try brewing my own sometime, sounds like fun.

beer is a lil more complicated than what i posted above.......but far from rocket science. things like hard ciders and wines are pretty simple and straight forward......even with simple equipment you scrounge together you can brew a pretty good drink.....if you can brew a pretty good drink with the cheap stuff you can brew some outstanding stuff with good equipment. main thing to remember when going cheap and scrounging food grade buckets at resturaunts is just be carefull what was stored in them before.....if it was something with a strong smell like pickles your going to wind up with a drink that tastes like pickles :grin:

I don't like beer. Never have.........

It all tastes the same to me...

Root beer.

Regular beer is gross. I'm with Fryster. All that beer mystique is lost on me. It tastes like spoiled grain water.

Bud ice is my favorite.

The nastiest beer I've ever tasted was some lake erie brew.

:drunk::puke:Thats me after drinking too much good beer or just one Lake erie

Beer is nasty. I don't know how you can enjoy that taste. Blah. Just... nasty.

Has anyone noticed that one of the fruit of the loom fruits looks just like a hop? (Asks himself if one "hops" is called a "hop"...)

http://www.adpulp.com/overlove.jpg

My favorite beer is free beer! If I had to go out and buy beer it would be an pale ale.

Polygamy Porter... from SLC, Utah

or

Taj Mahal... Indian beer

Holy Cow! How did I miss THIS thread?

I think pretty much any brew from Saranak (for a store bought beer) - best ones being black forrest and caramel porter.

However, I did have a blueberry ale made by some Long Island company when I was out at a specialty brew restaurant that blew me away (no pun intended....this time).

some of the books ive found handy for home brewing for those interested are:

for the serious on the cheap do it yourself type The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible by Leon W. Kania is pretty cool......has all kinds of stuff from home made wine and beer to oddball things like milk wine. its an interesting read.

for beer The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian has been through 3 editions and like 25 reprints since 1984........can usually be found cheap at a used book store.....granted the newest one will have the most up to date info and i recommend atleast finding on printed in 1991(the second edition) or later....i found one for $2 at a used book store.......tons of info.

as an companion to the above if you are seriously interested in beer Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher is pretty cool. the author assumes you know the basics or have the Joy of Home Brewing so doesnt cover the basic info.........on its own it just a good read even if your not serious about brewing beer but just like beer. has all kinds of ideas from off the wall types chocolate mint stout to duplicating brews from 200 plus years ago. all kinds of neat recipes, history and facts and such things made it well worth the $20 new at Barnes and Noble

does steel reserve count as beer?
REAL tequelia as`in 100% agave is good stuff.

Joy of Home Brewing is a great book.

Does Radical Brewing only have full mash recipies or what? I do either partial mash or extract, since I don't have the equipment (yet) for full.

its a mix............if he knew of an extract recipe he gives it to but some of them have no extract equivalent, especially when trying to recreate something like Finnish Sahti or Russian Kvass.....there is an extract recipe for a circa 1800 Welsh ale so some of the other old stuff its hit or miss......if he knew how to make them with extracts instead of all grain he includes it........there are about 90 complete recipes plus many more where he tells yah pretty much what they did so you can experiment going off another recipe and i would say roughly half have an extract recipe along with the whole grain

edited to ad: Radical Brewing isnt just a "cook book" its about 300 pages of info of which there are 90 recipes......its a good read if you just like to drink beer and arent going to brew. the first chapter is entitled "An Embellished History of Beer" which includes a "Mostly True Beer History Timeline" in chapter 3 there is a section called "How Not To Screw it Up".....under the different brews is the "(Not So Dumb) Blondes"....."Brews of Beelzebub: Strong Pale Ales"...."Smokin: Beers That Is"......"Outlaw Ales of Northern Germany"....."The Horrors of Colonial Ales"....."Mead Glorious Mead" amoung many others...............the author has a heck of a sense of humor and the book is just fun to sit and read

I never went full mash either because of equipment, space, and ambition shortages.

The Complete Joy is the only homebrewing book that a beginner needs. Once you're past that, you can find all the prose and recipes you'll ever need on the internet. Anyway, after I made enough different styles, I began thinking up recipes either as I was buying supplies or as I was brewing. Some of my best successes and certainly my worst failure were created that way. And remember to drink the yeast to prevent hangovers.

Back