What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Family Ties

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Since my Drosera caduca × falconeri was looking unhappy it was time to change the media.

To my surprise this was to be found after cleaning away some of the media.
IMGP4004_zpshbvdjwga.jpg

No, it is not Dionaea muscipula! If I cut off the leaves though it could pass.

IMGP4012_zpsco2fxhqn.jpg

IMGP4005_zps7nn91ykx.jpg

Here's how it looks when it is happy
IMGP8805_zps5261d7b7.jpg

I don't have the species Drosera caduca but I've never seen corms like these with Drosera falconeri.

Last edited:
That is honking . . .

I wrote an article Evolution of the Venus Flytrap published in the December 1985 Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. When I submitted it, Joe Mazrimas sent me a letter telling me of D. falconeri and the plant’s similarity to VFT. My reply to Joe’s letter was printed in the News and Views of that same issue along with a reference to Peter Tsang’s CPN June 1980 article A New Drosera From The Top End Of Australia. Peter wrote that he believed falconeri belonged to the same group as petiolaris “because of their great similarity in their root structure and their tomentose crown when dormant”.

Anyway, in case you are wondering, the consensus now seems to be that VFT is most closely related to Aldrovanda. And the nearest living sundew relation to VFT is likely D. regia.

Back