What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

False John Rizzi

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Apparently, this is a false John Rizzi:

Skimming through the Photofinder, I couldn't find an exact match. Whoever 'staticflicker' is, I think we have the same cultivar. About all i can conclude is that it appears to have moranensis traits.

I'm not very good at IDing Pings, but that looks like a P. moranensis flower to me. The leaves do look different from my 'John Rizzi,' but I'm certainly no expert.

The standard photo is published in "The Savage Garden" 1998 page 212. The description: "In my California greenhouse in the summer, hummingbirds frequently make a beeline for our flowering Mexican butterworts, probably because the birds are familiar with pings from their winter sojourn south of the boarder. This sometimes results in seed which I usually destroy, not knowing their pedigree. Once, however, I grew some plants from seed collected from a P. moranensis variety dubiously marked 'Superba'. Some of the resulting plants I sold before maturity, nicknamed "hummingbird mix." Our friend, the namesake of this cultivar, grew one of these plants to flowering size. Its exceptionally large, full blooms of deep pink petals warranted its preservation. The oval summer leaves are undulating and virtually marginless."

So the defining characteristics are emphasized above. White pattern on flower has no bearing.

I have a 'John Rizzi' that I got from you several years ago. Is it the same clone as you currently have?

These 3 flowers are on the (as labeled) 'John Rizzi'
IMGP7926_zpsf88078ca.jpg

Exceptionally large full blooms - check
deep pink petals - ??

IMGP7934_zps9551e29c.jpg

oval summer leaves- check
virtually marginless - yes as compared to say D. debbertiana

Here is the flower vs P. laueana × emarginata flower
IMGP7930_zpsc29e545d.jpg

IMGP7931_zpsc0cc0126.jpg

vs P. emarginata flower
IMGP7929_zps65097707.jpg

It's probably the same one, since the pictures I have go back to 2010. It's a pretty flower, nonetheless. That always got me that he had to destroy the seeds. But that's a whole'nother direction that I don't want to go. Not the color, but the striated looks remind me of P. emarginata. I wonder if it has moranensis and emarginata in its genotype. I'm also horrible at ID'ing pings.... and sundews...and just about anything else! We gotsta come up with another appropriate word for butterworts, analogous to 'roundandstickia'. Perhaps oblongandgreasia'?

Well, I was right about moranensis. ;)

Jim, I'd suggest you compare, but beware what long-time Ping growers have told me, unless it came labeled, IDing is virtually impossible. Characteristics like undulating and virtually margin-less, oval shaped summer leaves are not definite enough to ID the plants. Complicating the situation, many have flowers that look remarkable similar, though, apparently, those are more definite.

Here's the best shot I have of 'John Rizzi' (Flowering plants in center tray). Not sure it helps, but...
IMAG0430.jpg

What a beautiful collection!

Okay, the big plant has graced me with a flower:

Jim:

I've done some more research. I don't think mine is 'John Rizzi'. I think it's the false one. Taking a look at Peter's photo of John Rizzi, it doesn't look similar, but matches the false one.

I can pretty confidently say yours isn't 'John Rizzi' either. It seems like it might match the false John Rizzi, but it's very hard to tell since your photos are a bit blurry. (Also, is your flower really purple? That's what it appears to be to me. The false John Rizzi all appear to be pink, so that'd be an easy determining factor).

Just some thoughts,
-N

Pinkish-purple. I tried again. I just can't get a crisp picture:

Jim:

I also have whatever the plant is that you have. - http://instagram.com/p/rHXeYPIida/?modal=true

Compared to my false John Rizzi, it is definitely distinct, even in leaf form. The leaves color up under much less light and are broader, like yours. Still no idea what it is?

Back