What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exo Terra lights: 1 or 2?

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Hi all!

I just got a new Exo Terra light fixture, and two lights, for my lowland terrarium.

My terrarium has: N. bicalcarata, N. mirabilis anamensis, D. adelae, U. livida, and something else i cant remember.

So, my question: how many lights should i use?

at first i thought two...then one because the plants are shade loving...then two because it looked better...then one because it wouldn't cost as much to run...etc...:crazy:

Any answers are greatly appriciated!

Thank you!
Frankie

As many as possible. I believe shade loving is implied more as "little direct sunlight" instead of dark and less light. More light is better.

xvart.

cool.

thank you!

are they fluorescent bulbs? of the incandescent ones? dont use incandescent bulbs.... too hot and it dosent have the right wavelength for plants
Alex

Good point, Alex. I just assumed they were fluorescents.

xvart.

Those would be perfect lights. Our line of plants (CP's) love full spectrum flouroscents.

great! for once i didn't screw up! :D

thank you all!

Your N. bical will really take off with as much light as you can give it. I grew one from 18" diameter to 6 foot diameter under a 400W metal halide a few years ago. It loved every lumen I could throw at it. The leaves ended up very thick and hard like leather. The intense light/heat caused very heavy nectar production all over the traps and leave surfaces making the plant sticky.

All the neps I grew in the past have been light hogs, I've never found any that did better with less artificial light. In a greenhouse direct sun might be too much for them but when it comes to artificial lights, load it on! I always put as many lamps that would fit over my grow chambers. As long as you have proper humidity 80%+ you will only give your plants a little pigmentation with intense light and not fry them dead. Just remember that red, purple and pink colors on succulent leaves are ok, brown and crispy spots on leaves aren't ok and you need to raise humidity and/or water more often. After a few months your plants won't get these "sunburn" pigments anymore and will acclimate to the higher light but in a years time when you replace the bulbs they will lkely color up again as they will be used to the lower light intensity of the old bulbs.

Good luck, N. bicalcarata is a wonderful, fast growing and giantic species!

Back