What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Est for the Wii

• Thread starter Est
  • Start date
  • Tags
    est
final fantasy series is amazing...but my fav is still FF3

ok i got this from a bulliten on Myspace...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The PS3 hardware for the 20-gigabyte costs $805.85 to make. That's $306.85 that they will lose on each PS3 sold.The average price is price of $499. The 60GB model costs $840.35 to make so they lose $241.35. More than the $599 sticker price.

GOOD BYE SONY.

LONG LIVE THE Wii AND THE 360

does anyone know if this is true?
Alex

rock.gif
probably...

i think so. the problem with the ps3 is that it doesnt just wanna be your game system, it wants to be everything else too, while the wii is just a straight gaming device

It's very true, but the conclusion of that message couldn't be more wrong. Companies have always taken a hit on the console, since the days of the NES. They know they can pull in more with software than they ever will in hardware, because the hardware isn't user-programmable. So, deliver consoles at an affordable rate and pick it back up in the 500-10000% profit made on each cartridge or disk.
~Joe

Even so, seedjar, the loss is pretty high compared to the past

I seriously doubt it. If sales are low and product development, marketing and other fixed costs are factored in, maybe it's true. But the cost to build each additional unit must be much less.

i thought the Wii could play DVDs!!!....well this stinks. i stil lthink the Wii is best. you can play your gamecube things(which is what i got) buy older nintendo games with Wiii points(which i think is genius btw) and...its just looks cool haha.
Alex

Not especially... At least, it doesn't surprise me personally. If I recall the original edition of the Sega Genesis was sold for less than half the manufacturing cost.
~Joe

PS - It's not just Nintendo games, Alex; Sega and dozens of other companies have signed on for emulation support. They'll even have TurboGraphix16 games, which I think it pretty cool. I think I read a teaser somewhere about the possibility of expanded editions of classic games being released through Nintendo's network.

ah...i had a genesis...good times
smile.gif
mortal combat and sonic were THE games.
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Here's my solution to the "which system is better" problem: I own them all! Haha!

Nice. Wish I could do that. Too bad I have to justify expenses to my wife.

Any way, I will wait for the PS3's second shipment.

Anyone know the truth about an ugle rumor I heard? I know PS3 is supposed to be backwards compatable, but apparantly these first gen systems aren't for most games, and people will have to buy an adaptor? Is this true?

And I thought only Microsoft released things with known bugs still everywhere....

herenorthere, 'tis true, see

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It found that each $600 console costs Sony $840 to make. ISuppli notes that it’s common for manufacturers to take a loss on the hardware, calculating that they’ll make it up with game sales. Also, component costs should come down in the future.

“Still, the size of Sony’s loss per unit is remarkable, even for the video-game console business,” iSuppli said.
found at MSNBC

I don't know about having to buy an adaptor, Schloaty. Hopefully they'd release that kind of fix as a firmware update. I remember when the PS2 came out, there was a list of buggy PSX games that didn't play nice with it. There was no fix for those games, but upgradeable firmware has become more popular since then. I'd be very surprised if Sony didn't deliver at least passable PS2 compatibility in the PS3.
~Joe

Seedjar beat me to it, so I edited my little part out. However, I will keep the part about razors and such just for fun factoids:

Console systems always sell at a loss. It's like razor blade handles. They sell the initial product at a loss and make up the money on the games. Gillette sells the razor at a loss and makes hella bucks on the blades.

I wouldn't worry too much about Sony since they always make insane amounts of games. I love Nintendo and always have, but I always worry about them since they do (or at least they used to - havn't kept up on all the video game stuff) only make in house games while psx games were being created by the thousands!

est: I can't believe that you went to bed before playing it! I would've stayed up until I beat it! I just went back and played SNES zelda and had a blast with it! Long live Zelda and Nintendo!

xvart.

From playstations site:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Backwards Compatibility

Play thousands of PS one® and PlayStation®2 games as well as your CDs and DVDs on the PLAYSTATION®3.

NOTE
Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system. PS3 does not support a vibration controller.

Oh and on a sidenote about the PS3 wanting to be your "everything" xbox360 is that too... I can play music from my PC or ipod on it, view pictures and movies on my TV from my computer through it etc. ...I must admit though- I have not heard (or searched for to be honest) info that PS3 does that stuff... so i dunno

The thing with the ps3 is that it is a blueray dvd player too. I don't think 360 has that since the blueray came out after 360. I will wait until the next Madden game comes out to get a ps3. That way I won't waste money buying another Madden and I know I'll be able to get one around Augest. I pretty much only play one game and I think you know it by now.

Ok, now that I'm slightly less tired, I figure I'll address a few points.

First off, it was my bad for making this topic without expecting the unavoidable trolls. Especially since it's been so long since we had a console discussion. My pardons to those who're cursing my being for wreaking "another one of those topics on to these forums.

Now for a linear adressing of a few posts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Aaagh! I'd be there too but my leg is broken and I'm penniless! Life sucks without videogames. New videogames.

Ouch! Bummer, man! I hope you heal up soon. But you gotta remember not to shun the old games, there's plenty of gems out there. ;) I find myself cycling through a few of my favorite games every now and again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I hope you are doing it for youself and not to sell it.

After waiting that entire time with about 0 sleep, I would have kept it even if I had originally intended on selling it. Sacrafice. I was hoping for an experience, and that's what I got.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]On a final note, it seems to me that playing through an entire Zelda game (or any game for that matter) using the Wii-mote would be very tiring and annoying. I'm eager to be proved wrong though, so Est, post your impressions once you get a chance!

I plan on adding reviews of games and the system in general to my reviews topic over the coming days/weeks/??.
Initial impression is that first person shooters take a bit of getting used to at first but have an AMAZING potential. I can't wait to pick up a sniper rifle once I've accustomed myself to the way things work.
You need to keep in mind that it's not a virtual reality thing, so for many games your movement doesn't equal the resulting on-screen movement. That is, you have things like bowling in Wii Sports where you have the full range of movements of real bowling (which was the intent) and things like Call of Duty 3 where you don't need to wildly swing the remote to get the movement you're looking for.
Also, I'm still a bit shaky, but it seems like the wiimote is good for small, precise movements as well (which is a plus for sniping, or for surgery in Trauma Center.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]According to what I have read so far the games for the PS3's grafix are not as good as the 360.

Well, you need to keep in mind that a) you need to take what you hear with a grain of salt, b) the games are first gen, so likely don't fully utilize the hardware capabilities, c) there's always the numbers to look at in comparing hardware. I'm not defending one view or another, just pointing out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also read in the newspaper that the ps3 costs sony around 800 to make, and they sell for 600. They said they take a loss on the system because they know they will makeup for it with the games.

Sony loses $$ on each PS3 they sell. But Microsoft loses $$ for every Xboc they sell. It comes down to accessories, games, subscriptions, etc, etc. The thing with the PS3 is the Blu-ray stuff. It makes the production process a whole lot slower and Sony is subsidizing it in each PS3 that they sell (which = losing money.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wii sucks. Nintendo hasn't had anything worth playing (except for kids 12 and under hahahahahahaha) since the SNES. They used to be king, now they're a "has been". Time to move over and let Sony take control of the market (as they have been doing):

The trollometer is off the scale! Blimey! C'mon man. Cool off a lil. You've got your right to an opinion, but you can't tell me it's not troll-esque to come in to this topic and state "Wii sucks." Addressing this isn't a flame, I merely wish to remind everyone to have a little consideration when they post.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We could go back and forth all day long saying what game is the "best ever made". That's the beauty of being different.
wink.gif.gif
beer.gif

hail.gif
The voice of reason! Blimey!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Here's my solution to the "which system is better" problem: I own them all! Haha!

That's the problem: console fanboys have turned an enjoyable thing in to a contest. Sure they're competing companies and products, so contest is inherent to the game, but I think it's more important to ask yourself which one had what you like (and if you can afford it, etc) than why "OMGZ hax0rz the other console suckz!11oneone" etc, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Uhhhg I cant see how you guys do that now if it was for an awesome band heck yes I would camp out.

As for the game systems, Prices got out ragous after a few years... and I ended up just not caring any more, why waste money on a game system where I fling my arms all over the place?

"exercising" yea but I can do that when I'm playing DDR, DDR is allot more fun than imitating a Bow... You can only imagine the dirty games they could come out with...

The point isn't flinging and flailing and yadda hoo haw. It's something different. It requires another level of dexterity that you don't normally find in video games, that's why it's interesting.

Once again: If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you don't understand it, you don't have to troll it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For this holiday season, I will be getting the new Zelda game for the GameCube. Playing the new Zelda with the Wii controller seems too risky for me, I would rather stick with the traditional way of playing it.

As far as I know, in Zelda, the motion detection takes a back seat. I'll let you know how it feels when I get around to playing it in the next couple of days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]final fantasy series is amazing...but my fav is still FF3

I took a peek at my friends DS while he was playing the re-released FFIII for the DS and it looks pretty cool. If you own a DS, could be worth looking in to (not that I think you own one base on past posts...)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote
The PS3 hardware for the 20-gigabyte costs $805.85 to make. That's $306.85 that they will lose on each PS3 sold.The average price is price of $499. The 60GB model costs $840.35 to make so they lose $241.35. More than the $599 sticker price.

GOOD BYE SONY.

LONG LIVE THE Wii AND THE 360

does anyone know if this is true?

I can tell you now that Sony can handle it. Thing of how many different cookie jars that Sony has their hand in.

Also, keep in mind that stores don't pay the same price that they're charging for retail, so companies losing more. Once again I allude to the fact that Microsoft loses money on each Xbox, and they're still "afloat."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i think so. the problem with the ps3 is that it doesnt just wanna be your game system, it wants to be everything else too, while the wii is just a straight gaming device

Read up on some of the extra Wii functions, it's got some pretty neet stuff. Weather channel, news channel, etc etc. Just pointing out.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's very true, but the conclusion of that message couldn't be more wrong. Companies have always taken a hit on the console, since the days of the NES. They know they can pull in more with software than they ever will in hardware, because the hardware isn't user-programmable. So, deliver consoles at an affordable rate and pick it back up in the 500-10000% profit made on each cartridge or disk.

hail.gif
MY WORD! More reason in a single topic and I think we may need to shut this thing down!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i thought the Wii could play DVDs!!!....well this stinks. i stil lthink the Wii is best. you can play your gamecube things(which is what i got) buy older nintendo games with Wiii points(which i think is genius btw) and...its just looks cool haha.

Um, I think the games are on DVDs (I'd need to fact check that.) I think that there's just a bit of software missing preventing it from playing DVD movies. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Far to groggy to check for myself right now.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And I thought only Microsoft released things with known bugs still everywhere....

lol My friend had an Xbox 360 since launch day with no problems until about 2 months ago. Since then he's gone through many returns to microsoft. The problem is that they send you back poorly refurbished ones. So by now he's on #7.
oh.gif

So, that's all for now. Now it's time to let the Z's rooooooooll.

Thanks to all of you with your well wishes, I'm very happy that hanging out was such a good experience and that I ended up with a console, too!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Nov. 19 2006,9:54)]The thing with the ps3 is that it is a blueray dvd player too. I don't think 360 has that since the blueray came out after 360.
Well, blueray is a sony thing... HDdisk is a Microsoft thing... There is already a replacement drive available to the 360 to play these HDdisks... You may already be hearing some movies are available in blueray and some in HDdisk... I think it will come down to which gets popular first as to which one survives... (Do I hear beta video player? lol!) Anyway- they both play normal dvds... the ps3 can play blueray right off (i think both) and xbox 360 needs a drive exchange to play HDdisk. (NOTE: I dont' know who actually is "making" blu-ray or HD dvd... I just know the 2 consoles took different ones as listed above)

EDIT: Some information on the 2 formats...

Blu-ray and HD DVD are two competing high-capacity disc technologies backed by various consumer electronics and computer manufacturers. HD DVD and Blu-ray will include Set Top Recorders, as well as Computer Burners. Both will be capable of recording High Definition broadcasts.

On one side you have Blu-ray, led by Sony, that includes Panasonic, Samsung, Dell, HP, Philips, and several others, and HD-DVD which is supported by Toshiba, NEC, and a couple of others . Both formats use blue laser technology, which has a shorter wavelength than red, allowing it to read the smaller digital data "spots" packed a lot more densely onto a standard-size disc. HD-DVD is capable of holding 30GB on a dual layer disc (compared to 8.5GB for standard dual layer DVDs). Blu-ray will go up to 50GB at launch, and Sony is reportedly working on a quad-layer 100GB disc.

Just a little addendum to my previous post:
If you want to play games on the PS3, how many consoles do you buy?
How many games do you buy?
Aah-ha...
~Joe

blahblah9xm.gif

blahblah9xm.gif

blahblah9xm.gif

poke2.gif

One of my favorite games when I was little was Mousetrap.

I've never played anything mentioned here.  Mainly because I don't have the time and certainly don't have the money to drop on a game.  I spend money on my hobbies but not in those large lumps.

I can't imagine spending the night in line for anything.  Although I think with the right attitude and preparation it might be kinda fun.  
smile.gif

Back