What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ending Fridge Dormancy For Aldrovanda

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've got some in a tub in a cooler in the garage that I need to check in on but this worked well for a few turions in the butter keeper:

005-3.jpg

Last edited:
2 days after taking the turions out of the fridge and putting on the rack:

008-3.jpg

Nice! I don't know if anyone else has noticed but you've hit 17,000 posts...an impressive feat! Congrats!

They're growing so quickly!

004-5.jpg

Wow that's pretty cool. Thanks for posting the update photos. Those are moving along fast!

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

I just looked up the info on this. It's got a nice history to it. I wonder how you'd go about feeding it or what it actually ate in the wild when it was around...

We have a small bog near us and I collect the water from a seep. I'm sure there's small, edible critters in that water. Should be good for Utrics as well.

That is really awesome!

I've considered trying this, but I was sure they would croak. Instead I've opted to just keep growing them in the fish tank. I'm not entirely sure my plants are tropical and not temperate aldrovanda...they've been going strong for years now in any case!...but maybe they would do better with a dormancy if in fact they are temperate?

How long where they kept in the fridge? Did you change the water at all or do anything else special?

Sweet! It's great to see an underappreciated carnivore doing good.

Do they stay on your grow rack all during their growing season?

That is really awesome!

I've considered trying this, but I was sure they would croak. Instead I've opted to just keep growing them in the fish tank. I'm not entirely sure my plants are tropical and not temperate aldrovanda...they've been going strong for years now in any case!...but maybe they would do better with a dormancy if in fact they are temperate?

How long where they kept in the fridge? Did you change the water at all or do anything else special?

Yeah, they are widespread in their distribution. If there's any way to trace the source, that would be great in determining how to handle them. I had them in the fridge for 4 months. I also checked on the ones that were in a plastic tub of water, in a cooler, in the unheated garage. They were also fine. I did nothing to or for them. They do grow in dirty water, so sterile conditions aren't necessary.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Do they stay on your grow rack all during their growing season?

I've had them in a 10 gallon fishtank, along with U. gibba, outside, on the porch. I can get them through all 4 seasons. My next goal is to get them to flower.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

007-7.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

001-22.jpg

Wow very cool plants scott, do you have your u. gibba free floating, or is it rooted somewhere in that muck?

Thanks

--Paul

I think it's buried in the muck.

Back