What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emarginata x Ehlersiae

Hi,

I have been busy gathering information about my plant, specifically regarding dormancy requirements.

I came across the following about P. emarginata: "The Tropical Homophyllous species have the simplest requirements. They have no dormancy, and only have one type of leaf-form"
Souce: https://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/pings/pings.htm

And P. ehlersiae: "Perhaps 95% of these tropical heterophyllous species come from Mexico. They generally flower twice per year and exhibit different leaf types in summer and winter."

So a cross between a none dormant and dormant species, will it go into dormancy? So far it is not showing any sign of going dormant or leaf change. They are growing outside and receiving less light because of the seasonal change.

Last edited:
Some may, some may not, it depends on what it inherits from it's parents, you can try to induce dormancy by reducing your watering along with the lower lights and see if it goes dormant

Some may, some may not, it depends on what it inherits from it's parents, you can try to induce dormancy by reducing your watering along with the lower lights and see if it goes dormant

Hi,
Watering is at a bare minimum at the moment. Tray stands empty for days on end. Plant is growing like normal.

Regards

PS. I will leave it alone and keep watering at a minimum. The medium tends to stay wet for longer in any case, compared to warmer weather.

Last edited:
This cross may be similar to the case of P. 'Aphrodite'. Plants will go dormant if conditions necessitate, but otherwise they can stay in summer growth indefinitely.

This cross may be similar to the case of P. 'Aphrodite'. Plants will go dormant if conditions necessitate, but otherwise they can stay in summer growth indefinitely.

Hi, do you think it will have a negative effect on the plant if it does not go dormant though?
I would hate to be the cause of the plants downfall

The plant will tell you what it wants. If it goes dormant, let it. If not, let it.

Back