What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EEEK HELP!!! My Tissue Culture got too Hot!!!

I planted out My Giant Clam and Triton tissue cultures a couple of weeks ago, and have been slowly acclimatising them by gradually opening up their zip lock bags. They have been sitting in the same location on my kitchen bench since I first received them in their little vials, months back.

Today I was totally caught off-guard by warmer weather and glaringly bright afternoon sunlight. The Giant Clam TC seems ok, but Triton looks literally steamed!!! Help!!! Is there anything I can do to increase his chances of survival? Looks like there might even be mold! This VFT was a a bit of a tangled mess with not too many roots, which I guess hasn't helped either.....I have opened the bag to reduce the temp and humidity, but any other tips?? Should I cut off the dead tissue or will this just do more damage?

36160583324_07a58d2d9a_c.jpg

Hopes have plummeted lol. I carefully removed the moss from around the plant using a toothpick....not good, lots of mould growing and rotten tissue! So the plant looks 99.6% doomed. I put it in rainwater and it pretty much just fell apart, can't even see a rhizome but I don't think there was much to begin with. I cleaned off any mould with my trusty toothpick and then carefully laid all the pieces on new sphagnum moss in a container. Fingers crossed something takes or sprouts a plantlet, but won't let my hopes get too high....

I actually don't think heat was the issue now :? I think because the plant had grown in such a tight mess of knots that some of the TC nutrient gel was still trapped in there. I rinsed the hell out of it, but guess I didn't quite manage to get it all. The warmer weather just sped up the process... :(

I never acclimatize freshly ex vitro plants under natural sunlight -- at least for the first few weeks, since it is far too simple to "cook" them. Sorry for the loss, but, in the future, try keeping those sensitive plants under flourescent lights for the first couple of months, to ensure survival . . .

try keeping those sensitive plants under fluorescent lights for the first couple of months, to ensure survival . . .
If you just want a setup for one or two plants, I would go with daylight LED lights, as they provide some heat but not too much. They're aso helpful if you do not have too much space. But yeah, sunlight can heat up little plants way too quickly.

I never acclimatize freshly ex vitro plants under natural sunlight -- at least for the first few weeks, since it is far too simple to "cook" them. Sorry for the loss, but, in the future, try keeping those sensitive plants under flourescent lights for the first couple of months, to ensure survival . . .

Thanks BigBella, I have had them in the same spot in my kitchen since I received the vials which is a good couple of months. A combo of LED lights and window sill light, nothing too strong just gradually increasing exposure. Heat was my first though when I saw my plant due to it's appearance, but I actually think some of the nutrient gel was still trapped within causing rotting, as it had grown into such a tight ball of knots it wasn't able to rinse out. I have cleaned and salvaged what pieces I could, hopefully something makes a comeback.......This would also explain why the Giant Clam TC is still ok

If you just want a setup for one or two plants, I would go with daylight LED lights, as they provide some heat but not too much. They're aso helpful if you do not have too much space. But yeah, sunlight can heat up little plants way too quickly.

Thanks MPX_78 the TC's have been in the same lighting conditions just in my kitchen since I got them, but I actually now think there was left over nutrient gel trapped within the tight growth of Triton which caused rotting from underneath/within the plant. The other TC is completely fine, I have salvaged what I could and hope something survives....

Back