What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ebay seller

PitcherPlantJunkie

PitcherPlantDruggie
hey guys, I have a question about an ebay seller. His name is meteroimpact and he sells around 15 different species of nepenthes and he has all the rare ones like villosa and aristo. If anyone have bought from him before and have reliable results, please tell me. Thank you.(he's located in italy).

I probably would not bother. There's always a chance of out of country ebay accounts being scams, especially if it sounds too good to be true. Even if they are legit there's a lot of paperwork involved with shipping nepenthes that they may or may not have done. In that scenario your plants could potentially be seized.

Five seeds?! Don’t bother. The odds are you won’t get any germination, and if you do, don’t expect them to be true to name.

I personly don't trust out of country seed sails from Ebay. That being said there is a way to do it with no paperwork. Iv dun it and looked into it. You can get seeds to form as many plants as you want as long as its only ten of each. I had some seeds shipped to me from Australia. I was worried so I started to do some legwork and found out as logs as its only ten of each plant seed I was good.

Last edited:
I have tried germinating seeds from an international seller before. My experience was this:

- Seeds arrived after a month of "shipping"
- Quantity of seeds was correct
- Quality of seeds was low (many had dried out or blackened). They were Nepenthes, though!
- 0 germinated in over a year

I would not suggest it. Much safer to bite the bullet for the rarer neps and spend $100 or so on a 2-3 year old plant. I think Wistuba has a bunch for cheaper than that as well, and the clones he sells are very strong.

It's not as simple as "It's only 10 seeds so it's fine." Here is a post from 2008 by [MENTION=6193]Av8tor1[/MENTION], and I wouldn't doubt is something has changed but if it has it surely hasn't made it more simple. ;)

Legal importation of seeds into the USA

There is a post here somewhere that highlights a shipment of material (plants I think) that was seized and he was heavily fined for it. People outside of the USA do not care if you follow the laws or not, they're not the ones that will be held responsible if it is done wrong. Contact the right agencies and do all your own research and verifications. It is you that is responsible for bringing them in and making sure you follow all appropriate laws.
Andrew

It's not as simple as "It's only 10 seeds so it's fine." Here is a post from 2008 by [MENTION=6193]Av8tor1[/MENTION], and I wouldn't doubt is something has changed but if it has it surely hasn't made it more simple. ;)

Legal importation of seeds into the USA

There is a post here somewhere that highlights a shipment of material (plants I think) that was seized and he was heavily fined for it. People outside of the USA do not care if you follow the laws or not, they're not the ones that will be held responsible if it is done wrong. Contact the right agencies and do all your own research and verifications. It is you that is responsible for bringing them in and making sure you follow all appropriate laws.
Andrew

I didn't say it was simple or easy. I had to do a lot of reading before I even found something that made a sliver of sense. Then it took me an uncountable amount of phone calls to find out who could clarify this legal jibberish of a paragraph to make sure I was reading it right. Then played phone tag for a few days before it got clarified. On the other hand, Zoons is very right. all the legwork and hassle it took wasn't worth it. Most of the seeds came in crushed or dead so it was all dun for the.

Get the feeling you are better off not bothering? hehheh

I have only heard from a relatively small sampling of folks who have tried this .... but none had anything good to say about it. (An additional issue is that even if the seeds sent are actually viable nep seeds and germinate, it will be years before you will know whether you received seeds of the species you desired or just "exotic" ventrata seeds.) Save your $.

Back